Troubleshooting Starting Problem

lexus400

I'm doing some work on my mother in laws ES and she has been having a problem where if the car sits for a while (multiple days) the car won't start because it sounds like the battery is dead. The battery is a 3 year old Diehard and it tests ok along with the alternator/charging system. Yesterday when she tried to start it all she heard was "click" a few times (like a dead battery). She kept trying and all of a sudden it just started right up. Now I'm suspicious of the starter/solenoid. When it has been dead, I've jumped it myself and it's started. I've tested the battery and charging system myself and it all checks out.

Any ideas ? Is the starter or solenoid a likely candidate ?

Bob

Ok, it just happened to me first hand. Car sat overnight in my garage and when

I tried to start it, I just got clicking. I grabbed my batt/alt tester and sure enough the battery was low - not dead but low. I had my wife try it a few more times and on the fourth try it started right up. I tested the battery again - GOOD ! This is the exact same thing that happened to her the other day. I just started it 6 times in a row and it's fine. I'm stumped. Any ideas appreciated !

Bob

It's a '96 and I changed the starter/solenoid which came as one unit. Seems to have fixed the problem. I'm pretty sure the solenoid was getting hung up which accounted for the clicking but the battery charge was ok.

Bob

normally when the solenoid clicks it is ok. but many times the brushes that commutate the motor could land on a dead spot and you will get a problem like you are getting.

fix is to change the stator which it seams u have done good job :cheers:

i would agree the solenoid is in need of fixing but not replacment it is caused by carbon tracking on the copper terminals

which is caused by an insufficent vdc to activate causing arcing and leaving carbon tracking which gets progessivly worse like compounding interest payments

you need to find why you had a low vdc problem which is more than liekly bad wires or you will end up replacing batteries and solenoids more than needed,

I have a 94 and never have replaced my starter, then again i don;t know many people who have changed theirs ever