Block Heater

CatKing

hi all,

i saw there is "block heater" in the dealer for faster heat up and starting the rx330. what is that? is it useful?

please give your expert advice. thanks.

Hi Cat,

A block heater is an electric element that warms the coolant in your engine, which in turn warms the engine block and lubricants. Warm engines start more easily, achieve their peak operating temperature more quickly, and don't have to work as hard to pump oil through the block. All of that translates into better fuel economy - in fact, studies have shown that block heaters can improve fuel economy by as much as 10 percent. You only need to plug it in for a few hours as opposed to overnight.....so you can buy a timer to set it to come on to save energy as well.

I see your from Toronto as well.....which part? I considered putting a block heater in my 01 ES as well.....but the Lexus dealers want around $200 to install one which is a rip off. We don't really need such a device in the southern Ontario area as it only get's bitterly cold several days of the year (below -25) so as long as you have a strong battery & a well maintained vehicle or are able to park the car inside or in an underground parking lot, your fine. B)

:cheers:

useless for a vehicle in toronto

unless as it would need to be plugged into a wall receptacle

the temp of the fliud of the coolant in the water jacket of the block is kept at about 10 degrees

unless the car is always parked outside all the time in -20 degree weather