Motor Trend Screwed Up!

Lexusfreak

On the cover of their Jan 05 issue they mention that the car of the year is a 'domestic' winner & they said "And America builds the winner".........for the record, that is incorrect. The Chrysler 300 & the Dodge Magnum are built in Brampton, Ontario.......Not the U.S. Just wanted to clear that up & I have also sent MT the same e-mail. No offence to anyone.......just wanted to get the facts straight is all. :whistles: Have a look at the jpeg for yourself. ;) B)

http://www.motortrend.com/motor/mt_mag_cover.jpg

:cheers:

Hi Lexusfreak!! :)

I understand what you're saying - but really - there is no such place as 'America'. You could say 'The Americas' [as in North and South] but there is no such country as 'America'. The U.S.A. is actually the United States OF America. You also could say - and rightfully so - that Canada is the United Provinces OF America. U.S. Citizens, Mexicans and Canadians are all North Americans. So instead of Motor Trend declaring that 'America Builds a Winner' - they should have said [perhaps] that 'North America Builds a Winner'.

But all that said...

Cars built in the U.S.A. are concidered 'domestic cars' in Canada just as cars built in Canada are consideried domestic cars in the U.S.A. [i believe Mexico also has 'domestic status' insofar as cars being built is concerned - but I'm not 100% sure about that]

Craig!! :)

Hi Lexusfreak!! :)

I understand what you're saying - but really - there is no such place as 'America'. You could say 'The Americas' [as in North and South] but there is no such country as 'America'. The U.S.A. is actually the United States OF America. You also could say - and rightfully so - that Canada is the United Provinces OF America. U.S. Citizens, Mexicans and Canadians are all North Americans. So instead of Motor Trend declaring that 'America Builds a Winner' - they should have said [perhaps] that 'North America Builds a Winner'.

But all that said...

Cars built in the U.S.A. are concidered 'domestic cars' in Canada just as cars built in Canada are consideried domestic cars in the U.S.A. [i believe Mexico also has 'domestic status' insofar as cars being built is concerned - but I'm not 100% sure about that]

Craig!! :)

I understand & agree what your saying Craig.....your right! B) I guess I thought Motor Trend should have at least made it a point in either the front page (as you mentioned it might have been a good idea to say 'North America builds the winner') or the review & explanation in the COTY article itself. MT goes to great length's to inform folks that the Chevy Equinox (as an example) is Canadian built, but points out the V6 engine is built in China. B)

amf, you bring up a fair point as well.....however, I am only aware of one Lexus model built both in & outside Japan....right here in Ontario, the RX (if there is another model I don't know of.....please correct me). What would I consider it to be? How about a 50 / 50 imported & domestic vehicle (a 'Dom-ported' vehicle) :lol::blink: lol.....I say that because some of the components are shipped from Japan, & others are actually made here & shipped to the plant. ;)

A for the 300, I don't think many (if any) parts or major components are made in the U.S. (Chrysler has a huge engine & powertrain plant in Windsor, Ontario right across the river from Detroit as an example) That's why I thought it was an 'oversight' on MT's part, that should be corrected or at least clairified. Good & more than fair points everyone. :)

Alan- No Lexus cars are built in the US. They build SOME RX330s in Canada now but thats it, the rest are made in Japan.

Thanks sw, I was 99.99% sure that was the case. B)

Motor Trend used to have Import car of the year and Car of the Year awards. With the new global economy and with many badges cars built in other countries, "import" got confusing and they dropped it.

I am not surprised the best American badged sedan in years is built in Canada. B)

• Like 1

Off the top of my head

Acura Tl/Cl built in Ohio

new Acura truck based on CRV to be built in Ohio

Some RX 330s produced in Ontario

VW Beetle built in Mexico

X5/Z3/Z4 BMWs in South Carolina

ML Benz in Alabama

Camry/Accord/Altima built in the USA

Infintii QX56 and Nissan Armada/Titan in Mississippi

• Like 1

Off the top of my head

Acura Tl/Cl built in Ohio

new Acura truck based on CRV to be built in Ohio

Some RX 330s produced in Ontario

VW Beetle built in Mexico

X5/Z3/Z4 BMWs in South Carolina

ML Benz in Alabama

Camry/Accord/Altima built in the USA

Infintii QX56 and Nissan Armada/Titan in Mississippi

Very fair point & you are correct 1SICK...... B) A global economy indeed. In addition to your list,

- Acura MDX, EL, Honda Civic & some Honda Odyssey Mini-van's built in Alliston, Ontario

- Nissan Sentra, built in Mexico

- Toyota Martix / Corolla built in Cambridge, Ontario (sister car to Martix, the Pontiac Vibe, built in California)

- Buick Century, Buick Regal, Pontiac Grand Prix, Chevy Impala / Monte Carlo & many GM pick up's built in Oshawa, Ontario

- Ford Freestar, built in Oakville, Ontario

- Some Volvo models, built in Belgim

- Mazda 6 (I assume all 3 models available) built in Michigan

- Nissan Maxima (and like you mentioned the Altima as well as others) built in Tennesee.

- Ford Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis, built in St. Thomas, Ontario

- Some Ford Focus models, built in Mexico & Michigan

- Pontiac GTO, built in Australia

- Some Suraru models, built in Indiana

I'm sure there are many more......but I will stop the geography lesson now lol. :blink: B)