Hitches Not Up To Specs?

pemarsh

I just oredered a "Swingaway cargo holder" by Stowaway2. (see www.stowaway2.com for details). Basically, it is a cargo holder than connects to the tow hitch receiver.

However, the company told me there is a problem having it fit in the tow hitch receiver--becuase the OEM hitch receiver does not meet standard dimmensions.

More specifically, there should be atleast 3.5 inches between the spare tire and the safety pin hole located on the "stinger" (this is what is actually inserted into the tow hitch receiver)

On the 2004 LX 470, there is no more than 1.25 inches.

The company told me they can make it fit onto the Lexus by cutting the end of the stinger, to accomodate it to fit, without the spare tire getting in the way.

This is a known issue (hitch receiver not up to standard specs) with many Lexus and Toyotas, according to this company.

I called up a UHAUL place that attatches receivers...they said the same thing.

Any thought.

I just oredered a "Swingaway cargo holder" by Stowaway2.  (see www.stowaway2.com for  details).  Basically, it is a cargo holder than connects to the tow hitch receiver.

However, the company told me there is a problem having it fit in the tow hitch receiver--becuase the OEM hitch receiver does not meet standard dimmensions.

More specifically, there should be atleast 3.5 inches between the spare tire and the safety pin hole located on the "stinger" (this is what is actually inserted into the tow hitch receiver)

On the 2004 LX 470, there is no more than 1.25 inches.

The company told me they can make it fit onto the Lexus by cutting the end of the stinger, to accomodate it to fit, without the spare tire getting in the way.

This is a known issue (hitch receiver not up to standard specs) with many Lexus and Toyotas, according to this company. 

I called up a UHAUL place that attatches receivers...they said the same thing.

Any thought.

this is a known problem with the land cruisers and lx 2 part problem first with th lx is that lexus does not want people to tow heavy itmes because of the automatic height control seems the pumps heat up and wear out they have actually lowered the tow weight to 5000lbs from 2004 on i believe the other problem is theattachment of the hitch does not hold up under heavy use for long periods of time (tongue weight i think they call it) they have looked into it but its to costly to fix or change and will be changed on the new model in 2006