Leaking Coolant

mobilyte

I believe this is a very common problem on the first generation cars.

My personal theory is that the black lines on the side of the reservoir are too high to allow enough expansion room when the coolant gets hot.

Try filling it about halfway (i.e., below the lines) and see if it leaks.

i recently noticed that if i fill my coolant to the appropriate cold level in the reservoir tank, the coolant leaks from the coolant level sensor. i removed the sensor, tested it (found no resistance in either low/normal height), replaced the O-ring, and reinstalled. i'm still leaking from there and suspect that there might be something wrong with the radiator/reservoir pressure cap.

should i try to seal up the level sensor area of the reservoir with some silicone sealant? if i have the coolant at the right level when it's cold, why would it heat up and expand so much that it overflows/leaks?

Check the radiator drain; see if there's anything leaking from there. Worse case scenerio, you're replacing your coolant reseviors with a new one.

Seems that it is a VERY common problem. I have the same situation with a 93LS, the coolant level has stabilized at a level where the coolant warning comes on for a few seconds after engine start and then goes out. If I add coolant, it leaks out to the same level, I haven't had time to take a good look at the reservoir yet, I suspect that the reservoir isn't holding much if any pressure when the coolant is hot. Hope to pressure check the whole system one of these days.

yeah it is a common problem with early LS.......since it is a pressureized system any leak or hole with cause overflow, or cause it to run a tick hot. :unsure:

check your hoses for leaks, as well as check the resevoir for any cracks.

just leave the level a bit under the full mark, and you shouldn't have any problems

mine used to do the same thing........

i went ahead and replaced the radiator cap with one of those presurized ones, fully flushed the coolant system and filled her back up with fresh coolant, and i went ahead and replaced the thermostat, and it hasn't done it since.....