Is This The Ls400 Steering Rack Solenoid?

monarch

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...&cmd=si&img=217

I'm trying to find out how to find and remove the steering rack solenoid filter screen

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/solenoid2.jpg  Am I on the right track?

why is this here? LOL.

anyway it looks like you got it. i have never seen one, but that looks liek a steering rack solenoid.

Guys, I just did this today on my '91. This is really easy and took all of 15-20 mins. Came off with just one tap of the chisel. Try and get the wire connector undone before you unscrew it all the way. If you can't (like me) you wind up twisting the wires around quite a bit before the solenoid comes out. (it's just like unscrewing an oil filter). Just be be careful and you'll be ok. About a 1/2 quart drains out so have something ready to catch it. The screen pops pulls off the soleniod for cleaning. I sprayed brake cleaner back and forth to get it clean. Mine was really dirty ! You'll have to get all the air out when you refill the PS pump by turning the wheel lock to lock many times. Those of you that have replaced the pump already know exactly what I mean. I have a very slight groan as I reach the limit on each side. I'm sure it'll work itself out in the next few days of driving otherwise I'll bleed it again. The steering feels a little easier turning and it comes back to center much better than it did before. Wish I knew to do this when I replaced the pump last year.

Bob

I'm still puzzled about how the solenoid is attached. Some say it unscrews, implying that it's threaded. Others say it must be pryed off with a chisel (implying it isn't threaded) And no one has explained how to separate the electrical connector.

The solenoid itself unscrews just like an oil filter.

So then why isn't anyone using the appropriate size open end wrench to unscrew the solenoid (instead of beating on it with a chisel)? And when reinstalling, why is everyone pounding the solenoid back on (instead of !Removed! it back on)? What is really securing the solenoid anyway? Threads? The "O"-Ring seals? Or is it a press fit?

The solenoid itself unscrews just like an oil filter.

So then why isn't anyone using the appropriate size open end wrench to unscrew the solenoid (instead of beating on it with a chisel)? And when reinstalling, why is everyone pounding the solenoid back on (instead of !Removed! it back on)? What is really securing the solenoid anyway? Threads? The "O"-Ring seals? Or is it a press fit?

Like lexus400 says.....its just threaded on...

If you have a very "thin" channel lock pliers or similar, you could probably get around the nut. Its just in a tight place and a "tap" with the chisel is easiest....