'96 Ls 400 Wont Go!

fromundr

For the past month my ls400 was making a "whinning" sound at start up when cold, usually went away when warm. Later it would stay on even after warming up. Sounded like it came from tranny. Last saturday, while getting out of freeway, transmission began to slip from stand still. it would gain speed but would struggle. Finally after a couple more stop and goes, car would not accelerate, rpm would climb but would not move.. I could smell something burning sort of like when you burn the clutch on a manual transmission car. Basically it feels like when the clutch goes out on manual transmission car. After I let it sit waiting for tow truck, it gabbed a little at start up but then began to slip until no movement. I changed shift solenoid valve about six months ago. I think it might be torque converter but not sure. If anybody has any ideas as to possible cause please let me know Thanks!!!

I think it might be torque converter but not sure. If anybody has any ideas as to possible cause please let me know Thanks!!!

yeah the torque converter would be what i would have looked at first.

sounds pretty severe you could have burned the tranny up though, although tranny problems are not very common with the LS.

what does the tranny fluid look/smell like?

I have not had a chance to look at the fluid, I just got it home and had to go to work. Since the car seems to move after a cool down period, I hope the tranny is still good. Thanks for the input though!

If anybody can recommend a place to take it to in Los Angeles, I would really appreciate it!

I think it might be torque converter but not sure. If anybody has any ideas as to possible cause please let me know Thanks!!!

yeah the torque converter would be what i would have looked at first.

sounds pretty severe you could have burned the tranny up though, although tranny problems are not very common with the LS.

what does the tranny fluid look/smell like?

Seems these cars have fewer transmission problems than most. Or at least by the forum posts. If the converter broke a sprag or pump drive or even if the front pump went out....you still have to do the tranny rebuild as all the junk goes through the tranny.

How many miles on the car?

I'm up to 167,000 miles on it, The car drove fine until it just decided to quite. I guess the sound should have been a greater warning sign.

Seems these cars have fewer transmission problems than most. Or at least by the forum posts.  If the converter broke a sprag or pump drive or even if the front pump went out....you still have to do the tranny rebuild as all the junk goes through the tranny.

How many miles on the car?

I had a Cadillac and a Caprice. Both had transmissions go out and both whined prior to failure. On the Chevy, the engine temperature jumped greatly and caused the radiator to overheat. I might add that I had a very new 3 core radiator and waterpump in the car and it always ran very cool.

The smell was like you described. More than likely your clutch discs are probably cooked because that is what you smelled. I know how you feel man, another royal pain that you just didn't need to deal with.