Need Help

1996 es300 with 75k miles, engine won’t start until trying several times, and engine dies while driving (when this happens, pull over, restart, get going as normal), it happens intermittently about once every other day, and doesn’t matter if it is cold or hot, a mechanic checked it with computer, no error found. When the engine does run, it runs nice and smooth! The battery is new, spark plugs are new, and a new fuel filter was replaced recently but this strange problem is still there, can anyone help me? Thank you!

might be a position sensor on the engine for the crank or cam

it will run until it doesn't get a signal the shut down cause it thinks it is stopped

needs to have a scan tool hooked up to it and watch the readings for abnormalities of rpm's fo sensors

Here's a very low tech alternative. I had a similar problem many years ago (admittedly a very low tech car) and it turned out to be dirt in gas tank. This can happen if you run it almost on empty and somehow there's crap that you can pick up from various pumps. It happened intermittently.

Probably not the reason, but something to consider if everything else seems to be working ok.

a pretty good and simple idea

you can buy an ok fuel press gauge for about 25 bucks which hooks up the the tier valve on the fuel rail to look for irregualrities in pressure

to save this problem i run my tank bone dry every time