1992 Es 300

Anovice

The car has 116,000 miles and seems to run well. The oil is changed every 3,000 miles, the transmission fluid every 15,000 and twice a year the air filter is changed. The plugs were changed recently as well as all four breaks and the coolant fluid when the radiator was replaced. Beyond these things, nothing else. The timing belt has never been replaced, but 90% of the miles are now in the city and the mechanic is close by in case it goes. Are there other maintenance items that should be done to keep the car running well such as filters or anything else?

Regarding tires, the current set have approximately 35,000 miles and will need to be replaced soon. They are Bridgestone RE 930I's, P205/65R15 92H. Yes, H and that was my husband's doing to save some money. As you know, the car calls for V's, but I must say, it handles and rides fine for us. The Bridgestone's have been good, so we are thinking of staying with the same brand, unless another one is recommended. Also, is it fine to stay with the H rated tire or is that bad for the car?

Can we purchase the PCV valve and fuel filter at a Toyota dealership? Are they difficult to put in? If the mechanic does it when I ask him to flush the power steering fluid, how long should it take him (the PCV valve and fuel filter). Thanks

Yes, you could get it at a dealership, or you could just order it online and do it yourself because it's fairly easy. Try http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...m?siteid=213808

http://www.rockauto.com/

http://www.irontoad.com/

I'm not sure how long it'll take on your car but when I did it to mines (LS400), it took me 2 minutes for the PCV and 5 minutes for the fuel filter. The shop will probally charge you $20 to install the fuel filter but I don't know how much the PCV will cost you.

Flushing the power steeering fluid & PCV valve replacement is wise, in addition to replacing the timing belt. Regarding tires,

H speed rated tires will not hurt the car in anyway as it is only one speed rating below 'V'. The best choices for you in the size you need are:

- Toyo Proxes TPT (H or V speed rated). They have a 60,000 miles treadwear warranty with a treadwear of 400, Traction rating of A & Temperature rating of A. They are excellent in the rain (especially heavy rainfall) & very good in the snow. I have these on my 01 ES. Check out: www.toyo.com

- Falken Ziex ZE-512 (H or V speed rated). Also have a 60,000 mile warranty with a traction rating of 420, Traction rating of A & Temperature rating of A. These have a slightly more aggressive tread pattern over the Toyo's & as good in the heavy rain as the Toyo's & even better snow traction. My wife has them on her 2003 Ford Focus ZX5 & they will be on my short list when I need to replace my Toyo's & are less expensive to boot! plus they have a 'rim protector' built in. B) Check out www.falkentire.com Search for you closest dealer.

It's unfortunate that neither tire is available on tirerack, but if you want to see some reviews on this tire, check out www.tiretrends.com & put in the exact size you need on the right side of the screen & hit 'GO'. Click on the Falken & Toyo tires once you scroll down. The Falken would be my first choice of ALL available tires in that size & the Toyo's are a very close second & are the best overall values in an all season performance tires. Hope this helps & good luck! :) Prices on the tiretrends site are in Canadian dollars. & the 'V' speed rating will be slightly more expensive than the 'H' rated because of the slightly more reinforced sidewalls.

:cheers:

• 2 years later...

Can we purchase the PCV valve and fuel filter at a Toyota dealership? Are they difficult to put in? If the mechanic does it when I ask him to flush the power steering fluid, how long should it take him (the PCV valve and fuel filter). Thanks

Dear 92Lex:

How to change fuel filter? Where to locate for 97 ES300?