Oil Change- 1998 Es300

exdotcomer

Visited the parents yesterday in NY.

Had some time to burn so I decided to change the oil, and clean the K&N filter. Mind you, the car was always serviced at the dealer until yesterday.

Piece of cake, easier then my acura and camaro. Jacked the car up- let the oil drain. Dad gave me a ride to the Auto parts store- picked up- purolators pure one oil filter- i think it was 8 dollars, 5 qts Mobil oil- 6-7dollars, working with Dad, just like the good old days- PRICELESS.

Drove the car back to CT- the car drove nice! I'll never take the car back for a $55.00 oil change ever again. I'm looking into plugs and wires right now!

p.s.-

this forum and it's members are the best on the web. honestly, i've checked. :D

I remember switching to DIY oil change several months ago after taking the ES to the Toyota dealership for numerous oil changes. I've always wondered what it's like to change my own oil, and I'm glad I made the right move. Nothing feels better than doing your own job and doing it right the first time :)

Congrats to you on your first ever oil change. If you haven't done it yet, take a look under your car and spot for any oil leaks on the ground. If you find just a few oil drops at most, do not panic. This should disappear after a few days with your new oil. I believe this is a normal observation when one changes his own oil. Just make sure you tighten the oil drain plug pretty good (not overtighten) ;)

Now the only challenge is to get my hand around the exhaust manifold.

wear long sleeves and mechanic's gloves.

steviej

Yeah- I hate that exhaust manifold. Whenever i got the car back from the stealership, I inoticed they always spilled oil under filter by the manifold. i thought they were clumsy or lazy, until I changed that filter myself. they were neither lazy or clumsy, I spilled some oil even after letting that thing drain for 2 hrs. It's tough in there!

The ONLY 'pet peeve' I have with my 01 ES is the location of the oil filter :chairshot: kind of seems it was an 'after thought'. My mechanic does not spend enough time cleaning up the oil oil that spills onto the sub frame so I clean it up 'properly' as it looks like you have an oil leak afterwards :rolleyes: As soon as the car is off factory & extended warranty from Lexus, I will do my own oil changes as well as I enjoy it. :D

:cheers:

As soon as the car is off factory & extended warranty from Lexus, I will do my own oil changes as well as I enjoy it.  :D

Why delay the fun. You need not wait for warranty to be up, just save all reciepts and record of when you do it. Save yourself the money spent for labor.

steviej

I've thought about it......I'm just worried that (knock on wood) if something were to happen when of course I did the oil change (use to do all oil changes on my old Oldamobile 88, Buick Riviera & still do on my dads 90 Buick Park Avenue & never a problem) & all I could provide is the reciepts of the oil & filter purchased.....they would refuse any major engine repair or something stupid. :whistles: Does anybody know where the location of the ES 330's (04 & 05) oil filter is located? :unsure: Tell me it's not in the same place as the 97 - 01 models? :( :blink:

Does anybody know where the location of the ES 330's (04 & 05) oil filter is located?  :unsure:  Tell me it's not in the same place as the 97 - 01 models?

ok, I won't tell you. You will just have to look under my hood in May. :whistles:

steviej

(The 02-05 ES oil filters are in the same place :censored: )

Does anybody know where the location of the ES 330's (04 & 05) oil filter is located?   :unsure:   Tell me it's not in the same place as the 97 - 01 models?

ok, I won't tell you. You will just have to look under my hood in May. :whistles:

steviej

(The 02-05 ES oil filters are in the same place :censored: )

Is that a 'hint' that I should be purchasing Blue Jay's / Red Sox ticket's some time soon steviej? :whistles: :) So oil filter is in the same location on the current gen ES eh? ;)

That would be awesome & I agree! Late May is a georgous time to come up here for a visit! B) SK, perhaps we can do a big Lexus meet up here then & tour the Toyota / Lexus plant in Cambridge. :)