Bg Moa Oil Additive

fnutz09

Looking for comments/experience with BG MOA OIL ADDITIVE...My local LEXUS and ACURA dealers include them with some of thier oil change services...

I was also wondering if LEXUS or ACURA actually recommend that the dealers use this additive...

I have used it a couple of times on my wifes 2000 RX300...

Looking forward to comments...

None of the Asian car manufacturers recommend oil, coolant or fuel additives and hundreds of Asian car owners have driven 400,000 miles or more without using additives. But Lexus and Acura dealers are independent businesses run by profit - not quality - motivated Americans. There's nothing the Asian car manufacturers can do to force American dealers to stop hustling additives.

None of the Asian car manufacturers recommend oil, coolant or fuel additives and hundreds of Asian car owners have driven 400,000 miles or more without using additives.  But Lexus and Acura dealers are independent businesses run by profit - not quality - motivated Americans. There's nothing the Asian car manufacturers can do to force American dealers to stop hustling additives.

So....Basically you are saying it is a waste of money...I am starting lean that way....

That's correct fnutz. Just change your oil & filter with quality 'brand name' products at the correct intervals and you should have no problems. I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil with either a Mobil 1 or K & N oil filter. B)

Just courious, the BG MOA oil additive products.....is there a website for these products? I'm courious what kind of 'claims' they make. B)

:cheers:

if this is one of those additives which are supposed to stop leaks...STAY FAR AWAY. thopse additives adhere to all the gaskets, they dont pick and choose only the ones with the leaks. this can cause excessive oil blow-by (clogged PCV valve), massive oil leaks, or worse, piston ring and valve stem seal wear.

From what I read on there web sight there big claim is

“Stop and go traffic and high ambient temperature cause rapid depletion of critical additives that protect your engine. Our SLUDGE CONTROL oil change will prevent additive depletion and the formation of damaging deposits in your car's engine.”

With regular changing of your oil you should never have sludge problems. Sludge comes from the polymers used to make oil multi viscosity. When the oil gets to hot the polymers burn and cause sludge. But oils today should be able to handle the high temps that are thrown at them and the added detergent should remove any that is left behind.

Bottom line is that these additives normally do more harm then good and stay away.

If you are relay afraid of sludge 100% synthetic oil which does not have polymers to burn.

I personally use amsoil and change the oil in my 97 Lexus es 300 every 5000 miles. I have removed the valve cover gasket and dropped the pan and it is clean as it could be.

Ever sinse Mobil 1 changed to it’s new Tri-Synthetic formula I have not like it as much and now only use amsoil.

Thanks for the link amf. :) Not intrested really from what I have read. It's a gimmic :rolleyes:

mxl, what wrong with the new formulation of Mobil 1 with their tri-synthetic formula? You've lost me :blink: You would think that if a popular oil company 'modifies' their best selling synthetic oil that it's a much better product than what it replaces wouldn't you? :huh: Please explain your views. B)

Thanks for the link amf.  :)  Not intrested really from what I have read.  It's a gimmic  :rolleyes:

mxl,  what wrong with the new formulation of Mobil 1 with their tri-synthetic formula?  You've lost me  :blink:  You would think that if a popular oil company 'modifies' their best selling synthetic oil that it's a much better product than what it replaces wouldn't you?  :huh:  Please explain your views.  B)

Well there are 2 reasons I moved away from it first is I used to be part of a midget sprint car race team. We ran 900cc Honda CBR engines as our motor on our 3 carts. I ran Mobil 1 for years and I was very happy with it. Until they switched formulas to add more polymers. After a couple of engines tear downs to check for crack and stuff we found more sludge left behind. I asked around and other teams said they had the same problem. Some one told me that it was the new added polymers and at the high temps that we run they burn and leave behind the sludge.

The NOACK Volatility Test determines the evaporation loss of lubricants in high temperature service. The more motor oils vaporize, the thicker and heavier and more sludge they leave behind. And amisoil is some what better. So we started running amsoil it in 1 of the 3 carts and after the tear downs the amsoil engine was much cleaner. So from then on that all our team ran in our carts.

Now as for regular cars I believe that regular cars really do not need synthetic and good old dino oil is good enough. But for my Lexus the oil gets much hotter then in normal cars do to the fact of the head design form I believe 97-01. I have that design and in a effort to combat the evaporation loss and sludge build up I have turned to amsoil.

Now remember this is my option and I am not telling you that amsoil is better then Mobil 1 the above is my opinion. Everyone has opinions. They're like *BLEEP*s. Everyone has them, and everyone else thinks yours stinks.

mxl4729,

Since the Tri-Syn formula is no longer carried by Mobil1, do your sprint racing contacts or yourself have any insight to or knowledge of the performance of Mobil1 with "SuperSyn" in the same situations?

SuperSyn is their currently marketed formulation.

(I know not how it differs if it is different from TriSyn at all.)

steviej

mxl4729,

Since the Tri-Syn formula is no longer carried by Mobil1, do your sprint racing contacts or yourself have any insight to or knowledge of the performance of Mobil1 with "SuperSyn" in the same situations?

SuperSyn is their currently marketed formulation. 

(I know not how it differs if it is different from TriSyn at all.)

steviej

from what I understand it went like this the first round was pure synthetic and was great but eat seals for some reason. then it turned to try synthetic and that was good and was full synthetic but I had problems running it at supper high temps but most people loved it. but about a year ago Castro sued about something in Mobil 1 and won. Mobil was forced to do something and changed there formula now they call it SuperSyn. from what I am told from the Exxon engineers is that this new formula is not 100% synthetic and is not as good. I remember whew they made this change teams were buying as much as they could get there hands on before all the Tri-Syn was gone

This is something i got from someone else below

Syn blend is synthetic blend, i.e. synthetic components in a dino oil.

Super syn is their new technology oil, which actually starts with a dino oil base, and is "better" than their synthetic blend.

Mobil 1 trisynthetic was true lab-originated synthetic oil , but was withdrawn from sale after Mobil lost a lawsuit against Castrol.

Castrol was advertising a partially-synthetic oil that started off as dino oil but had synthetic elements as true synthetic. Since this is cheaper to produce (also "not as good" as a true synthetic), and since there was no longer any differentiation between mobil's REAL, TRUE trisynthetic oil and Castrol's non-true synthetic oil, it was no longer economic for Mobil to produce and sell the (more expensive) trisyn.

As a result of Mobil's loss of the lawsuit, they discontinued manufacturing trisyn, and now have supersyn which starts life as dino oil, and apparently tends to breakdown sooner/earlier/faster than their old trisynthetic oil. I'm not sure about actual lubricating properties, but I'm led to believe that trisyn also lubricated better than supersyn.

so now that I have confused everyone let me ask what oil do u run and y

Something I found on this topic on the net ...

http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/letters2.htm

Anybody knows where to get AMSoil at a great price?

I always hear everybody mentioning Amsoil oil whenever motor oil topics come up...but I never hear any mentioning of the 100% Synthetic motor oils like RedLine...Is Amsoil 100% Synthetic like Red Line...

I also notice that the Amsoil website never compares Red Line motor oil in thier tests?...Why is that?....

Something I found on this topic on the net ...

http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/letters2.htm

Anybody knows where to get AMSoil at a great price?

I always hear everybody mentioning Amsoil oil whenever motor oil topics come up...but I never hear any mentioning of the 100% Synthetic motor oils like RedLine...Is Amsoil 100% Synthetic like Red Line...

I also notice that the Amsoil website never compares Red Line motor oil in thier tests?...Why is that?....

Mobil 1 Supersyn is a 100% synthetic formula...

Mobil 1 5W-30-Most Advanced Performance Synthetic Engine Oil

Question: What is Mobil 1 and why is it now called Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™? 

Answer: Mobil 1 is a fully synthetic motor oil for automotive engines. It is made from a unique combination of high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefin (PAO), plus the SuperSyn™ anti-wear system for protection under the most extreme use. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is available in five viscosity grades:

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 10W-30 –

Higher-Mileage Vehicle Formula

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 5W-30 –

Newer Vehicle Formula

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 15W-50 –

Performance Driving Formula

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-30 –

Enhanced Fuel Economy Formula

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40 –

European Car Formula

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is truly a global formulation, exceeding the latest standards from the government, the oil industry and vehicle manufacturers. For instance, the appropriate grades of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ exceed ILSAC GF-3, API Service SL/CF, European ACEA standards and Japanese valvetrain requirements. In addition, some viscosity grades exceed specific OEM standards. One example is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40, which exceeds Mercedes Benz's 229.3 specification. As a CF rated oil, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ can also be used in diesel engines calling for a CD oil...

also from the same site:

Typical Properties

Mobil 1 5W-30

SAE Grade 5W-30

Viscosity, ASTM D 445   

cSt @ 40º C  56 

cSt @ 100º C  10

Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270  167

Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874  1.2

HTHS Viscosity, mPa·s @ 150ºC ASTM D 4683 3.08

Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97  -45

Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92  224

Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052  0.861

^that last one is just some interesting info i found.

now if mobil 1 is not a Fully Syhtetic motor oil, why are they saying it is?

NOOOOO! :o :censored:

Don't ask that question. That is the question that sparks the heated hated debate of which is better: synthetic or dino. Use the SEARCH button for this question. Do not rehash old arguements, PLEASE.

steviej

Don't ask that question. That is the question that sparks the heated hated debate of which is better: synthetic or dino. Use the SEARCH button for this question. Do not rehash old arguements, PLEASE.

steviej

i wasnt trying to rehash that...im simply saying that oil additives do more harm than good.

and FYI, currently i run Valvoline MaxLife 10W30. when i get the oil leaks sorted out, i will be using Mobil 1 Super Syn 5W30.

steviej

i wasnt trying to rehash that...im simply saying that oil additives do more harm than good.

Josh, read the progession of the quotes. I was not talking to you, I was talking to mxl4729 in regards to starting the debate again.

your initiative on oil additives was fine.

steviej

steviej

Josh, read the progession of the quotes. I was not talking to you, I was talking to mxl4729 in regards to starting the debate again.

your initiative on oil additives was fine.

steviej

DOH!!!! i have been own3d again...sort of...well...not really...shutting up... :blink: