Ash Tray

i thinnk your problem is bigger than you know

to remove the ashtray yo have to remove the center console

maybe you can acess it by removing the radio and a/c unit

pull out the upper middle vent and little cover under the radio to acess

LexuSY, my '94's astray is designed so that when it is closed it slightly turns into the dash on a very slight angle, so when my loose change was in there(and I guess I hit a really big bump), it just fell out the back of the astray on the astray tracks and into the dash. You probably won't have this problem on your '98 as I am sure Lex redesigned it.

Actually it was only a 10 minute job. Get a small screwdriver, put some tape on the blade, pop off the wood trim panel around the shifter. Next pop off the black trim piece above the cup-holder, and voila you have access to the 4 phillips screws that hold the astray in. I found all of this in my new Lexus Service Manual that I just bought off of ebay for $60.00. They are huge helps. Thanks for all of the help and sugestions.

cool at least you fixed the problem.if that was me something would of went wrong and a hinge or something would of broke.i always run into what looks like a easy job and it always turns into something big.thats the story of my life!