91 Ls 400 Gas Guage Problem

havsone

Hey everyone.. Im pretty familiar with all of the regular problems associated with the LS 400 (91). But now I have something new wrong with it. Whenever I fill up my car at the pump, the guage doesnt go all the way up. I put premium gas and I do fill it up all the way. This has happened more the once, so I finally decided to post this topic to see if anyone has any advice or recomendations. I'll really appreciate any help. Thanks for looking

LS 400 Owner

Hey everyone.. Im pretty familiar with all of the regular problems associated with the LS 400 (91). But now I have something new wrong with it. Whenever I fill up my car at the pump, the guage doesnt go all the way up. I put premium gas and I do fill it up all the way. This has happened more the once, so I finally decided to post this topic to see if anyone has any advice or recomendations. I'll really appreciate any help. Thanks for looking

LS 400 Owner

Capacitor C142 and C147 on the instrument cluster board. You have to remove the instrument cluster and circuit board and replace those 2 caps. There's a pinned post on how to remove the instrument cluster and board from your vehicle.

Capacitor C142 and C147 on the instrument cluster board. You have to remove the instrument cluster and circuit board and replace those 2 caps. There's a pinned post on how to remove the instrument cluster and board from your vehicle.

C142 and C147 capacitors do not exist in 90-92 LS's. Although the clusters look the same, 90-92 clusters are different than 93-94 clusters ;). The fuel gauge problem has nothing to do with the fuel pump or floater in the gas tank.

You are right about re-capping. This fixed the fuel gauge problem on my 91 cluster. My fuel gauge finally goes all the way to the top, and fairly quickly too :D. I have a tutorial for this in the works...I've just been working on all the tutorials 92Lex sent me.

I have one I think was the culprit through my own testing. I can't say which one exactly right now because I currently don't have a multimeter that tests capacitors and don't have my materials out. I bought 2 non working clusters on ebay to do testing. Once it snows here I'll be more likely to keep working on this :whistles: . Right now I say just replace all the caps on the power source circuit board. There aren't that many. I will eventually sell a kit to fix this problem on my site. If you need parts PM or email me and I'll get my !Removed! in gear on this.