Buying A 93 Sc400 With 135k...any Advise?

i found a car out here in charleston, south carolina, and it seems like a pretty good deal. its a 93 SC400 with 135k miles on it. im getting it for around 5600$ and im really close to buying it. the car drives fine, and everything seems to work, right down to the a/c. the trunk hydraulics dont work, and the hood doesnt quite pop up when you pull the latch, you have to kinda pry it up, but i think that 5600 is a pretty good deal.

well, just want to know if there's anything else i should watch out for. im currently an owner of a 98 GS300, but need a commuter car and just cant get away from the lexus marque. thanks for any help!

also, what are the most cost effective intake/exhaust combo for this car?

Before you buy it, take the car to a Lexus dealer and have them check it out--it only costs about $90. They can also get the lexus service history and you should also check the carfax history. The '93 has the old R12 AC and it should be checked for leaks as it is expensive to recharge. Also check the power steering pump for leaks and the usual wear items. See if the timing belt service was done. Expect to change all fluids and filters. Only after you see what it needs will you know if you have the right deal. Best of luck....

Do you know were the High and Low side service ports are for the A/C? I have fittings I want to use to Recharge/Convert the system to R134 if not already done so. I'm sure its already been converted over in its last service at the dealer in 2000. Do the dealers do that, or do they just keep R12 in it? Anywho, manual says nothing about service ports that I can see.

i found a car out here in charleston, south carolina, and it seems like a pretty good deal. its a 93 SC400 with 135k miles on it. im getting it for around 5600$ and im really close to buying it. the car drives fine, and everything seems to work, right down to the a/c. the trunk hydraulics dont work, and the hood doesnt quite pop up when you pull the latch, you have to kinda pry it up, but i think that 5600 is a pretty good deal.

well, just want to know if there's anything else i should watch out for. im currently an owner of a 98 GS300, but need a commuter car and just cant get away from the lexus marque. thanks for any help!

also, what are the most cost effective intake/exhaust combo for this car?

The hood has problems popping up? Has it been in any accidents?

well, i took the plunge and bought the car for 5300$ and 135472 miles on the odo. the motor still seems to pull strong. the problem with the trunk was that the shocks are broken somehow and need to be replaced, and the hood simple sitcks sometimes, you have to get your fingers under it to get it up.

two odd problems with it are on the gage cluster. the needles on the tach and speedo have burnt out, they no longer light up, and the fuel needle seems to take quite a while to get up to the actual fuel level, so maybe i can have the local lexus dealership take care of that problem.

about the exhaust, i think ill just get some cheap mufflers off ebay and have a cuztom system fabricated, then ill use the injen intake.

im still unsure about the wheels, but ill have plenty of time to figure it all out

I would really reccomend getting the maintanence history from the dealer. The dealer maintanence schedules are as rigorus as anything I have ever seen. I have a '95 that I bought with 60k on it and now it has 140k and does not burn a drop of oil in 5k between changes. The car has been serviced by the dealer for it's first 130k miles. For a performance car this is really unique.

Sure a private party can perform the same maintanence - but you have a guarantee with dealer records... It sure goes a long way toward peace of mind...

Just my 2 cents...