Audio In The Rx300 (2002)

ekarlsso

Hey,

I know that this topic has probably been brought up many, many times, but I was wondering what the best way (if there is any way) to change out radio components in the RX would be? In other words, should I mount an external CD player outside of the head unit or do I need to do some heavy cutting?

Thanks

From what I've heard from others aftermarket stereos in the RX are difficult, but not impossible. I'll let those who know more about the subject tell you further...

I don't think you can replace it because of the computer thats connected to the radio. The ac controls are all connected with the radio, but if you do find a way to replace it let me know.

What I did with mine is just work with what the truck came with. Im using the OEM Nakamichi's and moved the factory radio screen eslewhere and replaced with another screen for viewing dvds. I also installed two rear monitors on my headrest, replaced the four door speakers, added two amps and a 10 inch sub. All is working great.

Rear

Front

very interesting install wendell...explain more..how did u move the OEM screen? where did you move it to, can you still see the AC info?

Also, what kind of dvd system did you add? how is it controlled?

Yes, OEM screen still works. I did a mickey mouse job by moving it and !Removed! it in my glove compartment. My orginal plan was to buy a 3 inch screen and have it display all the OEM display, but no adapter fits with the factory cable.(did that make any sense)So now I have the OEM screen temporarily screwed in my glove compartment. OEM Screen

I know it looks very "cheezy" but remember, Iam an amateur... :D

As far as the other equipment I installed the following:

1: Multi A/V controller = this equipment allows you to switch from either listening to the radio/cd, watch TV, watch DVDs or watch tv/dvd while listening to the radio. Here is a picture from the internet: A/V Controller

It also comes with a Remote Eye and Remote Controller for switching from video to audio. You simply install the A/V controller anywhere in the car and wire the Remote Eye somewhere in the front where you can point your Remote controller to switch. I installed my Remote Eye sensor underneath the center console. Remote Eye Sensor

2: As far as the DVD system. I just bought a cheap "Blaupunkt" DVD player and installed it underneath the front passenger seat.

DVD Player My DVD player is connected to the Multi A/V controller. The two rear monitors are 6.5 Alpine screens and the front is another 6.5 screen. (not alpine...inexpensive stand alone)

Criticism is welcome :D

very interesting....nice job..does the center screen fit exactly where the OEM radio display was?if so..how did you find one that fit so perfectly there? and i am assuming that by you using that a/v controller you can still use the OEM cd changer?

what are your plans for the stock screen that is in the glove box?i think the top center drawer might be a good spot...

very interesting....nice job..does the center screen fit exactly where the OEM radio display was?if so..how did you find one that fit so perfectly there? and i am assuming that by you using that a/v controller you can still use the OEM cd changer?

what are your plans for the stock screen that is in the glove box?i think the top center drawer might be a good spot...

Everything works the same. Nothing has change expept the location of the factory screen. Radio, cd changer, cassette player all works normally. NO alteration of the dash or anything. My plan for the factory screen in the glove box is to replace it with smaller screen(if i ever find an adapter to fit)and hopefully install it somewhere outside the glove. :)

What are your audio plans for your Lexus?

very creative! i've seen a bunch of jdm harriers that have relocated to oem screen to either the glove box or center console...i haven't ever heard of anybody being able to hack the system to display on an aftermarket screen, tho...

Everything works the same. Nothing has change expept the location of the factory screen. Radio, cd changer, cassette player all works normally. NO alteration of the dash or anything. My plan for the factory screen in the glove box is to replace it with smaller screen(if i ever find an adapter to fit)and hopefully install it somewhere outside the glove. :)

What are your audio plans for your Lexus?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm....this all seems very very inetersting...I was thinking perhaps installing in the center unit a new disk changer, etc then installing an ipod adapter (with screen of course) where my changer is currently...think that might work?