P/s Question

tanksls

On the ls400 does the pump go out, are just leak. I see p/s fluid leaking but i think its from the line. I did notice it is leaking on my alt. Could it be from a seal on the pum its self.

Does anyone have any thing on replacing the starter and p/s. I am amlmost ready to drive it!

yes it could. gen I LS has this problem with the pps system when the pump dies and you are right on schedule, actually even a lil bit late. just get a reman pump, replace it and forget about it otherwise you are risking to loose the alternator as well.

A leaking pump or hose is a SYMPTOM of abnormally high fluid pressures in the system due to clogged filters in the power steering fluid reservoir and the filter inside the solenoid on the steering rack. So there is no point in replacing the pump without curing the faults that cause high fluid pressures to begin with.

So first I recommend cleaning the filters to see if the leak deminishes. If not, replace them pump and idle up air control valve (search the archives to find out what that is) Last resort if there is still a leak is to replace the power steering rack hose.

Also, beware your alternator could fail at any moment and leave you stranded because of all the oil that has leaked into it. So better carry a spare alternator or swap it out soon after you get the fluid leak corrected.

the clogged filters are due to the interior of pump and pipes detoriating and braking into parts. so this has to be done at the same time, and i presume every1 who is changin the pump would want to flush the system and clean the filters while they are at it.

the clogged filters are due to the interior of pump and pipes detoriating and braking into parts. so this has to be done at the same time, and i presume every1 who is changin the pump would want to flush the system and clean the filters while they are at it.

How does one go about cleaning the filters? Are they easy to get at. Thanx.