Alternator.......repair or replace??

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's not what you want to do...It's what you should do. If your going to keep the car for a couple months, then yeah, rebuild it. But, If your going to keep it for awhile go ahead and shell out the extra dough and get a lifetime warranty with it.

• 11 months later...
Alt. jussss went out. would it be better to repace with a new unit or have this one repaired. Also if repaired can they give it a higher output??

Hello: I replace my alternator on the average at 125K miles just to avoid the problem of getting hung out to dry on some highway. I go to a junkyard and pick up a used one, last one cost $37.50 and use that for the core exchange at a good rebuild shop. Rebuilt cost me $110. Then I replace the new alternator at my liesure and have a spare for the next time. I took the one I had removed apart to see how much wear was left on the brushes. There was enough for another 25K. The bearings were fine, just starting to show a little play. Of course, it all depends on how dusty the engine compartment gets: if all the under-panels are in place, then the alternator operates in a relatively dust free enviorment and it lives longer. I also back off a bit on the tension on the belt if it can be controlled. All best, LarryBenz