Just Bought A 1990 Ls 400 - A Couple Of Questions

miac33

Hi everyone! My husband and I just bought a 90 LS 400 last month. It has 197k miles, but it runs like a dream. We have only had 3 problems with the car and was wondering if anyone can help me out. (BTW, we bought the car from a public auction, so I think only having 3 problems so far is not too bad!) :D

1) We are having major problems with the car alarm. The darn thing goes off in the middle of the night at 3:25-3:30 am like clockwork!!! Not sure what is tripping it, but it is driving us nuts. Is there any way to lock the car without activating the alarm? I noticed there is a 'Remote on/off' switch. Does this have anything to do wtih that? I looked in the manual and there is a illustration of that switch, but it does not explain what it does.

2) The TRAC light keeps coming on when on the freeway. The car came with low pro tires and 20 inch rims. One of the tires has a slow leak, but we have not had the $300 to replace it yet. Would this cause the TRAC light to come on?

3) When we got the car, the blinker lever was completely broken off, it is just hanging. It works, because the headlights are also on that lever and those work. However, the blinker does not work at all b/c it has to be reconnected. Do I have to bring this to a Lexus dealer to be fixed or can any mechanic do this type of service?

Thank you all for your help!

Mia

Hi everyone! My husband and I just bought a 90 LS 400 last month. It has 197k miles, but it runs like a dream. We have only had 3 problems with the car and was wondering if anyone can help me out. (BTW, we bought the car from a public auction, so I think only having 3 problems so far is not too bad!) :D

1) We are having major problems with the car alarm. The darn thing goes off in the middle of the night at 3:25-3:30 am like clockwork!!! Not sure what is tripping it, but it is driving us nuts. Is there any way to lock the car without activating the alarm? I noticed there is a 'Remote on/off' switch. Does this have anything to do wtih that? I looked in the manual and there is a illustration of that switch, but it does not explain what it does.

2) The TRAC light keeps coming on when on the freeway. The car came with low pro tires and 20 inch rims. One of the tires has a slow leak, but we have not had the $300 to replace it yet. Would this cause the TRAC light to come on?

3) When we got the car, the blinker lever was completely broken off, it is just hanging. It works, because the headlights are also on that lever and those work. However, the blinker does not work at all b/c it has to be reconnected. Do I have to bring this to a Lexus dealer to be fixed or can any mechanic do this type of service?

Thank you all for your help!

Mia

1) The "Remote On/Off" switch you're referring to is for the automatic door open and lock system that is activated by pressing that little button on your Lexus key. It may or may not work anymore depending on how bad the wiring inside your car got or how well the chipboard inside your key is. The "Remote On/Off" switch needs to be on so you can use that button on your key to lock and unlock your doors/set alarm. If it does not work, just try replacing the little battery inside your key. You can get the battery from Wal-Mart for $1. If the new battery does not make your key work with your car just don't bother. It is too costly to try to replace that lock/unlock system inside your car. Just do it the old school way.

2) I believe that may have something to do with your TRAC light. You'll have to wait for someone who knows about the TRAC system to reply to your post because I don't want you to quote me on it. I have heard of people having intermittent problems with the ABS/TRAC system. Also, get that tire fixed. If it busts on you down the drain goes your 20 inch chrome rims. Chrome, right?

3) Not ANY mechanic...a GOOD mechanic SHOULD be able to perform anything necessary to fix your car. I have a special mechanic who works for ExxonMobil who can do anything, I mean anything, to my car to make it new again. I have dropped $5,500 on my car and it's a mechanical beauty. Most good mechanic shops should have a computer database of virtually every car in the market. It shows them how to disassemble, assemble, machine, and fix anything on any car. If you go to the Lexus dealership they will rip your arm off in costs. And after they fix one thing you may need to take it back to fix another important thing. You won't be able to afford it unless you've got the cashish. Take it to a well certified mechanic with years of experience and be sure they have a computer database they go by to fix cars. Do NOT let them ASSUME how to fix your car. You have a Lexus now. Baby it.

Thanks for your detailed answer, Brian, it is a big help!

And, of course, chrome wheels, otherwise they would have been taken off day 1! :P

Is that your car in the picture? It is BEAUTIFUL!!! You have done a great job with it!

replacing the battery in your key for the on/off switch to the remote is not the problem with the alarm going off. it must be something with a big vibration going by your car that time of morning.

the trac system is one of the problems on these cars. i read somewhere it is usually a sensor that causes the light to come on. the sensor i read was $800. they recommend trying to buy a car w/o it.

good luck w/your new car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1991 pretty much covered it with the Alarm, you just might have a bad connection in there.......is it a stock alarm? or aftermarket?

trac light on, i don't know........it could really be a # of things

i would try to get a used steering column assemble from a salvage yard and just switch it out........or if the lever unit is a seperate assembly( havn't looked) just get that switch out, and you could probably just take it apart and do it yourself.

good luck