oil change and plug replacement

My Lexus dealer says I need an oil change every 5 k miles and new plugs every 60 k miles . I thought 100,000 on plugs  and 10,000 on synthetic oil , I only drive 6 k per year .

Am I being screwed or am I wrong . Love to hear other opinions .

Do you have the owner's maintenance schedule? That will verify how often you need to do maintenance, including oil, spark plug, air filters and other changes. If your manual specifies synthetic oil, then once per year changes should be adequate as long as short trips of less than 10 miles or so are the norm. Some vehicles have oil change algorithms that will let you know when an oil change is necessary, based upon your driving habits and assuming you are using factory-specified oil and filter. I change our oil every year (no more than 6000 miles) with Mobil 1 synthetic oil. We almost never use the vehicle for short trips.

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2024 at 1:51 PM, raymond123 said:

My Lexus dealer says I need an oil change every 5 k miles and new plugs every 60 k miles . I thought 100,000 on plugs  and 10,000 on synthetic oil , I only drive 6 k per year .

Am I being screwed or am I wrong . Love to hear other opinions .

Honestly, the dealer isn't wrong.  5,000 miles is an acceptable oil change interval.  And maybe about the best compromise between "too soon" and too long.  Oil's cheap, engines are expensive.  How long do you want to keep the car? More frequent oil changes means the longer you will drive it before you are forced into a "fix it or dump it" scenario.