Snow Driving

:whistles:

This is my first experience with a RWD. I own a 1993 GS300 and live in Denver, CO.

There's a decent amount of snow that falls from Nov-Feb, but melts fairly quickly b/c of we get sun often here only 2 during the winter months.

I heard rumors that putting sand bags or weight in the truck along with snow tires does wonders on these RWD G's.

Is this a myth?

thx.

This is my first experience with a RWD. I own a 1993 GS300 and live in Denver, CO.

There's a decent amount of snow that falls from Nov-Feb, but melts fairly quickly b/c of we get sun often here only 2 during the winter months.

I heard rumors that putting sand bags or weight in the truck along with snow tires does wonders on these RWD G's.

Is this a myth?

thx.

No, it's not a myth. Some folks will argue about the sand bag, but it works. The key is to make sure the bag is tied down securely and as close as possible to being directly above the rear axle. I've done this with pickup trucks, notorious in snow, and gone just about anwhere I wanted in snow.

Snow tires have sharp cleats, with wider spacing for grip and "self cleaning" treads. They are also made of a softer compound which doesn't get as brittle in cold weather and this helps traction on wet snow and ice.

As with any vehicle, you need to leave plenty of room in front of you for stopping, go easy on the gas pedal, start out in a 2nd gear if you can, and take a good run at hills so you have momentum. Those would be the keys to snow driving, in my book.

Is this a myth?

thx.

No, it's not a myth. Some folks will argue about the sand bag, but it works. The key is to make sure the bag is tied down securely and as close as possible to being directly above the rear axle. I've done this with pickup trucks, notorious in snow, and gone just about anwhere I wanted in snow.

Snow tires have sharp cleats, with wider spacing for grip and "self cleaning" treads. They are also made of a softer compound which doesn't get as brittle in cold weather and this helps traction on wet snow and ice.

As with any vehicle, you need to leave plenty of room in front of you for stopping, go easy on the gas pedal, start out in a 2nd gear if you can, and take a good run at hills so you have momentum. Those would be the keys to snow driving, in my book.

Thanks, that helps!

Looks like snow in the forecast here.

You know of a good place to buy snow tires and wheels at a decent price? I'll probably buy a set of 2 for the rear and some sand bags at a local home depot.

Is this a myth?

thx.

Thanks, that helps!

Looks like snow in the forecast here.

You know of a good place to buy snow tires and wheels at a decent price? I'll probably buy a set of 2 for the rear and some sand bags at a local home depot.

Are you looking for an online tire/wheel store? Tire Rack is a reputable company with good service. http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

The reason you try to get the sand bag over the axle is so as not to upset the car's balance by having it clear at the back.

I used to get bags of children's "play sand" and then put that into a plastic garbage bag to keep the sand from leaking out. When I had my Firebird I just put two cases of 9mm ammo in the back. LOL.