Just purchased a 2013 450h - have 2 questions

I just purchased a 2013 450h with 100k miles - we love it.  I previously (and still do) owned a 2006 RX350 -185k miles and running strong, it's been a great car!  I wanted to get something newer and a hybrid if possible and found this one - it's in excellent shape and love the color (dark red)!  

1. I have worked on my own cars for years - but am a total newbie when it comes to the hybrid part.  I've been reading the manual and online posts on hybrid/ev related items.  So when we got the car home and put it in the garage, I heard this noise - like a whirring sound, coming from the front when I take it out of Park and put in Reverse/backup - I think it only makes this noise after the motor has shut off when it is still in Park and I back it up.  I was told this is a normal sound when going in reverse but why don't I always hear it whenever I am backing up, instead of only some of the times? 

2.  There is a button to enable "EV" .  Whenever I try it, I get a message "EV unavailable"  .  Is this normal and what is the purpose of the button?

These are probably simple things, but being an EV newbie, I appreciate any thoughts/comments!

Pat

Congratulations on your new 2013 Lexus RX 450h! It’s great to hear that you’re enjoying it, especially with the lovely dark red color. Let’s address your questions:

1. Whirring Sound in Reverse:

• The noise you’re hearing when you shift into reverse is likely related to the hybrid system. Specifically, it’s associated with the pedestrian warning system. This system generates a sound to alert pedestrians when the vehicle is moving in reverse. It’s designed to enhance safety, especially in situations where pedestrians might not notice the quiet electric operation of the hybrid.
    • The reason you don’t always hear it is because the system activates selectively. It typically operates when the vehicle is moving slowly in reverse, especially in parking lots or other areas where pedestrians might be present. When you’re backing up at higher speeds or in certain conditions, the system may not engage.
    • So, rest assured, this sound is normal and serves an important safety purpose.
  2. EV Mode Unavailable:

• The “EV” button you mentioned is meant to activate the Electric Vehicle (EV) mode. In this mode, the vehicle runs purely on electric power, using the battery. However, there are specific conditions that must be met for EV mode to be available:
      • Battery Charge: The hybrid battery needs to have sufficient charge. If the battery is too low, the system won’t allow EV mode.
      • Speed: EV mode usually works at lower speeds, such as during city driving or parking maneuvers.
      • Temperature: Extreme temperatures (very hot or very cold) can affect the availability of EV mode.
      • Other Factors: Factors like air conditioning usage, engine temperature, and overall system demands also play a role.
    • If you’re getting the “EV mode currently not available” message, it’s likely due to one of these conditions not being met. It’s normal for the system to manage when EV mode is active to optimize efficiency and prevent battery depletion.
    • Remember that hybrids like the RX 450h are designed to seamlessly switch between electric and gasoline power based on driving conditions. So, while EV mode is a nice feature for short electric-only trips, the system prioritizes overall efficiency.

Keep exploring your new hybrid, and don’t hesitate to reach out if you have more questions. Enjoy your Lexus adventure!

• Like 1