Power Antenna Replacement

branshew

Due to excess friction in the mast, my antenna froze about 1/3 of the way up yesterday. The motor kept trying to push it up (until I switched to CD mode to stop it), and I am afraid that I may have caused some damage to the motor so I am going to replace the whole unit.

I am guessing that this is fairly straightforward and that just about any aftermarket assembly would work. Any comments and/or suggestions before I proceed?

First off, your motor is probably fine. You'd probably be wasting your money if you replaced the whole motor. Most of the time, all you need to replace is the shaft and you can pick those up at Pep Boys for ~ $15. They don't take long to replace either. Rumor has it you can hold the volume button in for a certain period and it will actually spit the old antenna mast out but I'm not positive as to the details; I've never tried doing it that way. Maybe someone else can help out?

I used to have the same problem on my '94ES. I found that with two people I could once again make the antenna work properly, from full up to full down position. You have nothing to lose by trying this:

Hintz.gif

1- Squirt WD-40 onto the shaft and let it roll down the shaft.

2- Have somebody in the car turn on the radio while you help pull the antenna shaft upward.

3- Turn off the radio and help push the antenna shaft down.

4- Do this operation a few times and check to see if this corrects your problem.