Transmission fluid change

I called my Lexus dealer about an appointment for changing my transmission fluid and the service advisor told me Lexus recommends not changing the fluid and never sees and issues with the transmission. I asked if it is a lifetime fluid? She said no, but they recommend against changing.  What is the official answer to this question?  I am concerned with that answer. I am at 60,000 miles on a GX 470

Lexus GX 470 owners often wonder about the recommended transmission fluid change interval. Let’s delve into this topic:

1. Official Recommendation:

• While your service advisor’s response is not uncommon, it’s essential to consider the official stance. Lexus does not classify the transmission fluid as “lifetime.” Instead, they recommend regular maintenance.
    • The official guideline is to change the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. Regular fluid changes help maintain optimal performance and extend the life of your transmission.
  2. Why Change the Fluid?:

• Transmission fluid serves several critical functions, including lubrication, cooling, and cleaning. Over time, it can break down, accumulate debris, and lose effectiveness.
    • Regular fluid changes prevent premature wear, reduce the risk of transmission issues, and promote smoother gear shifts.
  3. DIY or Dealer Service?:

4. Sealed Transmission Systems:

• The GX 470’s transmission is a sealed system, which means there’s no traditional dipstick for checking fluid levels.
    • To change the fluid, you’ll need to use specialized equipment to drain and refill it through the cooler lines or other access points.
  5. Your Mileage:

• At 60,000 miles, it’s an excellent time to consider a transmission fluid change. Regular maintenance ensures your GX 470 continues to perform reliably.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

While changing the oil I saw some transmission oil on the (transfer case?) should I worry? Should I add oil? It’s not leaking as to leave stains on the ground but…

Noticing transmission oil on the transfer case of your 2007 Lexus GX470 could be a sign of a minor leak. However, if it’s not leaving stains on the ground, it might not be a significant issue. Here are a few things you could consider:

1. Check the Fluid Level: If you’re comfortable doing so, you could check the fluid level in the transfer case. If the fluid level is low, it might be a good idea to add more1. The transfer case of a Lexus GX470 typically takes about 1.5 quarts of gear lubricant oil.

2. Inspect the Seals: The oil could be coming from a worn or damaged seal. If this is the case, you might need to replace the seal.

3. Monitor the Situation: Keep an eye on the situation. If you start to notice more oil or any changes in your vehicle’s performance, it might be time to take it to a professional for a more thorough inspection.

Remember, when in doubt, it’s always a good idea to consult with a professional mechanic or your local Lexus dealership. They can provide you with the most accurate advice based on a physical inspection of your vehicle. Safety should always be your top priority.