front cam end cap can anyone tell me how to get it off.

I need to replace the vvt filter which is in the head under the front cam end cap. I have taken the valve cover off and removed the bolts holding the cap. tapped it to get it loose. so there I am. any help would appreciated.  

To remove the front bearing cap, you need to break it free from the FIPG.  But you need to do this without prying on the cap/head mating surface.  IIRC, I did it by gently prying between the cap and the cam gears.  Try to pry straight up, a little at a time until it breaks the FIPG seal.

Do you have the service manual for reference?  If not, see the attachments - just pick out the pertinent steps.

You need to clean off the FIPG completely (see image) and only apply it where specified (see FSM).  I used razor blades (don't gouge the aluminum) and green Scotchbright to remove the FIPG.  Don't use power tools - you don't want to remove aluminum, just the FIPG.

20211001_194806_resized.thumb.jpg.b64f370b26b22ea77f6e01a45c0fbd5c.jpg

The washers under the four cap bolts (shown above) are seal washers.  These need to be replaced and can only be sourced from the dealer.  Because these four bolts have smaller shank diameters than standard bolt, seal washers sourced from an industrial supply house will not seal properly.  The ID of the Toyota seal washers have a smaller diameter that works with these bolts.

There are also round plugs bonded in place with FIPG at the ends of the camshaft bores.  Might be a good idea to remove, clean and reseal these.

EM-33 Cylinder Head - Removal.pdf EM-57 Cylinder Head - Installation.pdf

Thank you for your assistance. I appreciate your help. If I understand correctly, I do have to remove the timing belt from the cam gear. Also, remove the cam gear to remove the end cap. So, I am retired and tired. I will take my time and do it all over again. I was hoping I would not have to do that. I was able to break the sealant, but I still can't get the cam end cap off.

You don't have to remove the timing belt and remove the belt sprockets.  The cam gears are these and you can try gently between them and the cap:

Untitled_83.jpg.6fe46c29ae7acef4b3a750544101daed.jpg

What's probably hanging you up are these two plugs:

Untitled_84.jpg.9226a8e5bd36242c1bb789ff3021d3bb.jpg

They're sealed in place with FIPG; one half to the head and the other half to the cap.  When I removed the cams to replace the seals behind the cam sprockets, the plugs stayed with the head.  I did remove them and re-sealed them during reassembly.

On 3/12/2024 at 5:35 PM, paulo57509 said:

You don't have to remove the timing belt and remove the belt sprockets.  The cam gears are these and you can try gently between them and the cap:

They're sealed in place with FIPG; one half to the head and the other half to the cap.  When I removed the cams to replace the seals behind the cam sprockets, the plugs stayed with the head.  I did remove them and re-sealed them during reassembly.

It could be possible that the plug is causing the cam cap not to release. I tried to free the cap again.  I looked at many past post and most replies came from you Paulo57509 with great information thanks you very much. 

On 3/12/2024 at 5:35 PM, paulo57509 said:

It could be possible that the plug is causing the cam cap not to release. I tried to free the cap again.  I looked at many past post and most replies came from you Paulo57509 with great information thanks you very much. 

20 hours ago, Abe Scott said:

I checked, and the plug is in the cam end cap, not in the head. It is more than likely keeping the end cap from being removed. At this point, I must figure out how to remove the plug without causing damage.

The cam plugs are sealed in place by FIPG; the top half of the plug is sealed to the cam bearing, the lower half of the plug is sealed to the cylinder head.

Untitled_02a.thumb.jpg.db565c994fe0bf104f6b8982061da1ff.jpg

You cannot pry the plugs out because they have a lip on the inside.  When the bearing cap is pulled, they will either come out with the cap or stay with the head.

1118850010.thumb.jpg.a8a35ae6347b8c2202d22c3dbe5d63df.jpg

Thanks once again. Paulo57509, you are a wealth of information. I was able to remove the plug from the end cap, yet the end cap did not come off. I will keep trying things until It comes out or I get weary and stop. 

Let's put this puppy to bed. I found a YouTube video with the cam seal being replaced. The timing belt had to be removed to remove the cam end cap. Thanks for your help and support. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Yes, after removing the timing belt and the cam gear. Thank you very much!

Edited by Abe Scott
to add thanks

My sincere apologies for steering you wrong.

Looking back, I did remove the cam gears but left the VVTi phasers in place when I removed the cams.  I did this a few years ago.  Talk about a fading memory.

No apologies are necessary; your intention was great. That's what this forum is about: owners helping owners. Thank you for the great help always.