Adaptive Laser To A Hit

grassypond

I have an '01 LS430 with 48k miles. Took a trip recently and lost the cruise control. We have the Ultra package and the car has Adaptive Cruise control. The laser module in the front bumper took a peeble or rock or something, and the lense shattered. The stealer wants $1667.00 for the part, plus labor to install. Anyone else have this happen. Hoping the the replacement module will have a better lense....maybe a lexan cover. My guess is that the module has not been improved. Any thoughts on retrofitting a lexan cover over the lense??? BTW, my insurance will cover the damage, but I will have to pay the deductible..bites no matter how you look at it. Module needs better design. :excl:

how does that cruise control system work, anyways? seems pretty high tech...

www.tapplastics.com

if you have a TAP plastics store in your area, they should be able to help with retrofitting a lexan lense on the laser. good luck.

When cruise control is engaged the laser 'sees' the vehicle ahead of you and adjusts your speed accordingly so you don't run up on them. I haven't RTFM in detail about the system, but intend to do so when I'm 'fixed'.

Thanks for the source for lexan, will try them :cheers: