Saw A 1997 Lx450 Today To Buy ...

AutoStart

All, I'm in the market for an SUV (new or used). Initially, I started off looking for a brand new 4Runner or Sequoia, but on a whim, I saw a local web ad for a 1997 LX450 and went to check it out today.

It has 87K miles, Champagne Color. and it is the 1997 model. Priced at $15,900 .

It looked great from the outside, the interior looks neat. The owner was nice enough to let me ride it for a few miles. The ride was good (but not soft, the shocks seemed to be tough - which is ok by me btw).

I'm looking for opinions from current LX450 owners.

Is it still a good buy, in terms of mainitenance and reliability?

Can I expect it to last another 5 years if I buy it today?

Is the 15.9 K price good? Some quick online research seems to indicate that 14.5K is probably a better price? (I forgot which tires it had, but they already had 30K miles on them and the current owner says they have another 30K left).

It's original audio system has been removed. It has a JVC CD player installed instead. Everything else seems to be original.

I live in an urban area, so mostly will use it for office commute and weekend family travel. I may do some fun off-roading once every few months - nothing serious, but some dirt driving.

What else should I check before I buy? The current owner is the second owner. He says it has no maintenance issues. His wife drives it for her daily work commute and it definitely looks clean and in good shape!

Any feedback and comments on your currrent LX450's reliability are welcome !

Thank you all!

- Auto B)

The price does seem a little high compared to what these things are going for now days. I probably wouldn't pay more than 14k and you could probably find one cheaper than that. Knowing the history is a good thing though.

Couple of things to keep an eye out for:

-Time for a front axle service if it hasn't been done (about $1000 unless you DYI).

Check for excess oil/grease on the surface of the steering knuckle/axle housing.

-Check the rear main/pan arch area for leakage. Fairly common, but may give you some bargaining power and may be something you have to deal with down the road, although the seepage is usually pretty minor.

-Head gasket failure has been one of the thinks to pop on some of these cruisers. Regular coolant flushes are a good PM. Might check on that history.

-About time for the 90k service, which you'd want to base line all the fluids anyway.

-Other than that, I would ask for any documented maitenance to see whats been done.

:cheers:

Rookie2

Rookie and EndLess, thank you for your responses. I guess 15.9K is a little pricey for this model. But from your posts I understand that this vehicle is a reliable model.

Rookie, thanks for alerting me to what I need to look out for when buying this type of vehicle.

Thanks much!

- Auto

The price does seem a little high compared to what these things are going for now days.  I probably wouldn't pay more than 14k and you could probably find one cheaper than that.  Knowing the history is a good thing though.

Couple of things to keep an eye out for:

-Time for a front axle service if it hasn't been done (about $1000 unless you DYI).

Check for excess oil/grease on the surface of the steering knuckle/axle housing.

-Check the rear main/pan arch area for leakage.  Fairly common, but may give you some bargaining power and may be something you have to deal with down the road, although the seepage is usually pretty minor.

-Head gasket failure has been one of the thinks to pop on some of these cruisers.  Regular coolant flushes are a good PM.  Might check on that history.

-About time for the 90k service, which you'd want to base line all the fluids anyway.

-Other than that, I would ask for any documented maitenance to see whats been done.

Rookie2

15.9k doesn't seem bad to me.

The front wheel bearing pack that rookie was refering to only cost $300

I do all the other maintanance myself, its fairly easy except wheel bearings.

The head gasket problem isn't that common, but I called to see what it would cost

they said $1000. Thats not bad either considering the work involved.

LX 450 are the best period

Thanks everyone. I'm buying it today evening. Due to time constraints, I did not have the time to get it checked by a mechanic. The seller is using it as a daily commute vehicle and he is very confident that it doesn't have any problems. Am I making a mistake by not getting it checked by a mechanic? The vehicle looks to be in great shape otherwise.

-Auto

The front wheel bearing pack that rookie was refering to only cost $300

The front axle service I'm referring to goes far beyond a bearing repack. Doing it the way most consider the "right way" (replacing trunion bearing and all seals) runs upwards of $200 in parts alone. Throw in a few tools and cleaners you need for the job and you around $250 and a full weekend of time for a DYI'er.

The front axle service or "birf repack", involves removal of the hub/disc assembly, spindle, pulling the birfield and axle shaft, knuckle housing and cleaning all the above. After disassembling, cleaning, reassembling and repacking the birfield, replacing the trunion bearings, inner axle seal, wiper seal, hub seals, repacking or replacing wheel bearings and hub seal, reassembly the whole shooting match, you're ready to do the other side

Shop time for this is 8 hours, so you won't get out of it anywhere near $300 if you have this done at the local stealer.

So why do this you ask?? Truthfully many have gone 150K/200k maybe without ever doing it. But eventually the inner axle oil seal will give way and allow cross contimination between the knuckle grease and differential oil. The diff oil gets in the knuckle and will wash the grease out of the birfield and eventually damage the birfields which are high dollar to replace. At the same time you will notice a significant decrease in fuel mileage (I was at about 12 mpg) as the differential has to work through the soupy grease/oil mix that will be present in the axle.

Keep in mind these are full time AWD vehicles, so the front axle has a lot more going on than your typical 2WD vehicles, and hence a little more maintenance is required. Not a reason not to buy them, but you should be aware of what is going on up there.

Good luck on the purchase.

Rookie

This job (as described by Rookie) will run aprox $1800 at a lexus dealership -- almost $600 less at a Toyota dealership.

no way you'll get it done for $300.

If all they're doing is repacking the wheel bearing grease...maybe $300, but even that's a little low.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes you are right I was refering to the wheel bearing pack only.

That other job seems very involed. I probobly would never do this

unless it needs it, I do keep an eye on the front grease, hopefully

this will clue me in if I ever have a problem.