Electric power steering warning light coming on & off

Go to solution Solved by RX400h,

The electric power steering warning light comes on and off on our 2019 RX 350.  Any idea the cause; is it dangerous; and how to fix.

Thank you!

No experience, however I know that turning the wheel when STATIONARY requires a LOT of amperage. 

I learned from our old cars with non-assisted steering, always ROLL THE CAR when turning the wheel. 🤔 Newer cars can suffer damaged PS motors if they are over-taxed...not just Lexus.

Another thought:  Are you on the original battery?  Perhaps it is weak and the steering motor is taxing it, causing a low voltage. An auto parts store could do a LOAD TEST to see if that is a factor.

++++++++++++++

Aside from the increased effort when there is a malfunction, I don't think there is a danger. I'm sure back-up systems are incorporated.

• Solution

The electric power steering warning light on your 2019 RX 350 could be coming on due to a few reasons:

1. Low Power Steering Fluid: This is one of the most common reasons for the power steering warning light to appear. You should check the power steering fluid level.

2. Faulty Electric Connector: A faulty electric connector in the power steering system can also trigger the warning light.

3. Issues in the Power Steering System: If the power steering fluid level is full, the warning light could indicate a bigger issue in the power steering system.

As for whether it’s dangerous, it can be. If the power steering system fails, it can make the vehicle harder to maneuver, especially at lower speeds. This could potentially lead to accidents.

In terms of fixing it, if the issue is low power steering fluid, you can refill it. If the issue is a faulty electric connector, it might be possible to fix it yourself if you catch it in time2. However, if the power steering fluid level is full and the light is still coming on, it’s recommended to contact your dealer or a professional mechanic1.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2024 at 12:00 PM, Carbuff2 said:

No experience, however I know that turning the wheel when STATIONARY requires a LOT of amperage. 

I learned from our old cars with non-assisted steering, always ROLL THE CAR when turning the wheel. 🤔 Newer cars can suffer damaged PS motors if they are over-taxed...not just Lexus.

Another thought:  Are you on the original battery?  Perhaps it is weak and the steering motor is taxing it, causing a low voltage. An auto parts store could do a LOAD TEST to see if that is a factor.

++++++++++++++

Aside from the increased effort when there is a malfunction, I don't think there is a danger. I'm sure back-up systems are incorporated.

Just now, Buzwell said:

Thank you for your reply!  We replaced the battery on the RX about 6 months ago, so I doubt that's the issue.  The light has not flashed lately do we're hoping it's a one time thing.  Agree with your comments regarding turning the wheel while the vehicle is moving.  This is my wife's vehicle --I will have a little discussion regarding wheel turning while parking and the need to turn when the vehicle is moving.  Cheers!!

BTW, I noticed that the Automatic Self Park on our RX500h turns the wheel without moving the vehicle. 🤢

Besides the very sloooow operation, that's ANOTHER reason to park it ourselves! 😇

++++++++++++

PS:  Check the tightness of the battery terminals on that new battery. If you can twist them without loosening, you could have a poor contact that results in low voltage under high draw.

13 minutes ago, Carbuff2 said:

BTW, I noticed that the Automatic Self Park on our RX500h turns the wheel without moving the vehicle. 🤢

Besides the very sloooow operation, that's ANOTHER reason to park it ourselves! 😇

++++++++++++

PS:  Check the tightness of the battery terminals on that new battery. If you can twist them without loosening, you could have a poor contact that results in low voltage under high draw.

Excellent suggestion....I'll check the battery terminal cables.  Cheers!