Winter Tires For My 05' Es330

bichoo

I"m trying to figure out which snow tires to get for my new ES330. I want the Dunlop M3 or M2 but they don't come in the right size. My only 2 choices are:

Pirelli SnowSport 210

Michelin Artic Alpin PA2

I can't decide between the two. I know the michelin are not that great in the snow but are much better in we conditions and quieter.

Anyone had experience with these tires? Suggestions?

I would suggest that you go down to a different diameter wheel, 16 inch or 15 inch and mount the snow tires on steel wheels. This gives you more flexibility with sizing and keeps your wheels nice.

if it snows alot there and roads get pretty bad and bumpy its definetely smart to go a size or two smaller. That way your wheels take less beating, salt, and in the case you ever loose control dont ruin those nice 17's. 15 would look retarded on that car, i know.

I see some nice audi's out here all the time that change thier wheels during the winters to plain old steel wheels that you can fit hubcaps on.

In the right mindset... kinda makes a cool sleeper.

thanks for your replies. That defintely sounds like a good plan to get 16 inch steel rims.

I want those dunlop winter sport m3 tires but they still don't make em in the correct size. I believe the 04 es330 have 215/60R16 tires. Any of you guys know about using different sizes safely so that it doesn't mess up the brakes or speedometer. I'm using this tire size calculator at: http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculato...p?action=submit

Anyone used this? I think 225/60R16 should be ok although the tire is gonna be 0.4 inches wider which i didnt' actually want but oh well.

The closest size i can get in the M3's without affecting the diameter of the tire too much is 225/60/16. Of coruse this means a 0.4inch wider tire but i have no other choice. Otherwise i can get the exact size in the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 but prefer to have the M3's. You think going from 215 to 225 will cause a problem for driving in the winter? 0.4 inches wider ain't that bad. Anyone have experience in this?

thanks for all your help!

oh yea, forgot to mention, the es330 i got is leased so i'm not that concerned about the 17 inch alloy wheels. If i go to 16's, i gotta spend $300 bux on top of the cost of the tires just to get the steel rims. So i've narrowed it down to 4 options:

1.) 16 rims ($300) + 225/60/16 Dunlop M3 ($830) = $1130

2.) 16 rims($300) + 215/60/16 Michelin PA2 ($690) = $990

3.) Keep the 17 alloy wheels + 215/55/17 Pirelli Snowsport 210 = $1100

4.) Keep the 17 alloy wheels + 225/55/17 Dunlop M3 = $900

Interestingly i can keep my 17 inch rims for the winter and get the M3's for the cheapest of the 4 above. Only problem is i'm going a bit wider from 215 to 225.

Any suggestions on what to do? This car is leased after all and only gonna keep it 4 years. If it was my car, for sure 16 steels rims would go on it.

Comments?

I'd still use the 16 inch rims. Even though its leased you'll still have to pay for a bent rim and that'll be a whole lot more than $300. The tires on the 17s are pretty low profile, one good winter sinkhole and you could bend 2 or 3 of them in one hit. The 16s have more tire and thats not gonna happen.

You can upsize from the 215s to 225s no problem.