broken caliper

B Nelson

My mechanic recently replaced my rear brake pads for me. My sensor light has been on for quite awhile. He previously had told me that the sensor just needed to be replaced. During him replacing the rear brake pads, he said a caliper just broke off because of corrosion. he also showed me my brake sensor that he said just fell off. My car has 70,000 miles on it is a Lexus LS 430, and has NEVER missed a mainenance check or oil change at the Lexus dealership where it was purchased new in 2006. It has been in excellent condition. I also have to tell you that his garage was shut down for quite awhile because his mechanics were messing people's cars up so badly that people were ready to sue. (He fired these guys and does all the work himself now.) I have been waiting over 2 weeks for him to get me in his schedule to finish these repairs. But my question is this: I also need new tires and soon. but because I do not know anything about mechanic repairs I am asking if me having new tires put on my car before these repairs are done would cause any problems with wheels or brakes or new tires etc. 

I am 69 yr old woman and not sure what to do or who to trust anymore, If anyone can answer my question I would appreciate it. Thank-you.

Edited by B Nelson
mispellings

I have to ask how you would have tires installed if your car is still in the shop. Did the mechanic already replace the caliper set and the sensor? If not, you will need to wait until he is finished before getting new tires.

Thankyou for responding! This was my son's mechanic. Long story- the car was willed to me by a client. Up until that point, I always took the owner to the Lexus dealership. My son's mechanic was highly regarded, and excellent work, and I took the car to him to save money. When his shop was closed I went to Lexus for all maintenance checks and concerns. He told me I could still drive the car, it wouldnt be a problem, and I have been driving for work, which requires alot of in town driving. But it's been a month since he told me he was going to call me and get me in to fix caliper problem but it would cost more that I was able to pay at that time. Sorry for confusing you. I am concerned about continuing driving without this repair tho. Your thoughts?

And thank you so much for givng me the info that I need. Thankyou very much.

Edited by B Nelson

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw your post, so I hope this is in time to help.

First changing your tires is always a good idea and the brakes will have no effect on your tires - only alignment does that.

Second, the brake calipers are solid and if one is broken it must be replaced, but I have a hard time believing anyone could break one with normal driving.  70,000 miles on these cars is nothing and I drive 100,000 before replacing the rear brake pads ( I have two of these and have driven 325,000 miles combined

Third, the brake sensor just clips on.  It is quite simple and cheap.  It works by wearing through the end when the brakes get too far worn down and once it goes off it must be replaced.  Should be about $20 and again - it just clips on.

Hope this helps.