Automatic issues

Goes2fast

Please read this carefully as all the info I have is here.

I have a 93 SC300 that a previous owner swapped in a JDM 2JZ-GTE from an Aristo. The engine runs well, but the automatic would not shift into 2nd gear under anything but light throttle. It has the original SC300 transmission and one guy who supposedly knows them told me that if I installed the Aristo trans that would most likely solve the problem.

I took it to what was supposed to be a good trans shop which let the car sit for a couple of months before starting to work on it because I told them I was in no hurry. When they called they said there was no way to make the Aristo trans work because there were too many differences in the wiring harnesses. I told them to put the Sc300 trans back in and I would pick it up. They charged me $450 for this waste of time, but I thought oh well.

When I picked it up I only had first and second gears, no reverse, neutral, or anything else. They refused to work on it saying for all they knew it was that way when I brought it in. I drove it home that way thinking they didn't have the linkage on right. When I had time to put it up on jack stands to try and correct it, I found that the transmission has only 4 shift detents while the shifter has 6 positions.  No matter where I adjust the linkage, it's the same thing. Even when it is in park, it is in first gear. 

I hope someone here has the tech knowledge to help me fix this so I don't have to take it to the stealership since I'm an old, poor, retired guy. I have no idea how Toyota engineered this complicated gearbox since I'm an old-school guy who wishes he had never bought this can of worms.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out of this mess. 

Hello, Jim.

Have you considered taking it to a local shop that has good ratings? I would explain the issues you have over the phone before taking your car there. They may not want to mess with it. If so, try somewhere else. I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for the reply. I have not been able to find any transmission shops in my area that have a good reputation. I need the trans for my pickup rebuilt as well and don't know where to take it. I have been trying to get the 4L60 for it done for over a year.