Oil filter relocation

craw

• 2 months later...

I'm considering this mod. to make the fluid capacity higher.

The Summit racing website lists several kits that -might- be compatible (filter change-over on block -is- meant to be functional on the Toyota engine) but I still need to scrutinize the engine compartment closely to determine WHERE(?) the remote filter assembly could reside. If the filter carrier can mount acceptably, I'd also consider slipping a cooler in there somewhere too.

• 1 month later...

Wow, the oil filter location is truly bizarre.  I have wondered what in the world the designers had in mind considering how you can't even get near it without touching the exhaust manifold.  I hate to change the oil when it's cold, but how else can it be done with the filter located there??

Thanks for mentioning the idea of relocating it.  I am going to look into this topic as well since you're brought it up.

Regards,

Steve

There's a lot of "cheap options" but worh how tight it is you need one that you can "clock" so you can send the hoses out the right direction. 

I auditioned a dual filter carrier and sent it back once I inspected it and determined that it was largely 'eye-wash' (explaining adequately would take far too long, but basically, the filters weren't in series, and wouldn't be of any value other than taking up space, and instilling added capacity that wouldn't 'flow' nearly as effectively as one would figure (junk) ).

I've been looking at other filter carriers since, and I think I've settled on a 'Summit' branded one that has ports arranged in such a way that including the cooler will allow for the shortest, and most straight-forward hose arrangement. It also has a large selection of filter types available to allow for space/capacity considerations.

The filter bypass 'base' I've selected will allow a filter to be installed in the original position, but give me 'ports' that I'll be using with multi-braid covered hoses (stainless under/nylon over-braid) that have a .465" i.d. rubber/viton make-up & a allows for a variety of (mostly)AN8 fittings which are needed to be able to dismantle and remove the arrangement as might be required, they'll also allow ability to 'clock' the hoses as needed to avoid twisting & kinking.

While I've been studying the -lack of space-, and types and variety of parts available I've determined that this won't be simple -by far- . Making a suitable bracket to hang the filter header, and cooler bank that won't look ignorant -or- slipshod has been a task in itself. The additional 1-1/2(+) qt of lubricant is leading to a need to incorporate an inline thermostat (I could have used a thermostat filter base-sandwich, but there were too many bad reviews, and I don't want to be reliant on a questionable oil supply configuration). Along with the thermostat (that will provide 'heat-up' pre-circulation, along with bleeding off 10-15% of over-all flow to keep the extra capacity full/cavitation free, and eliminate cold-shock of the lubricant supply) I think that installing a one-way valve to keep the added lubricant from possible drain-back and overcoming that crankcase oil height and result in oil puking out or hydraulic lock in the crankcase if a drain-back occurred somehow just MIGHT be in my best interests.

I identified some parts that could be used for a -MUCH- simpler -just oil filter relocation- to get it out from it's original awful location if anyone were interested in some of the research.

The whole 'deluxe' version I'm envisioning is nearly all conjecture at this point. I've been gathering a growing pile of components, and once I've got enough on hand (and worked out details-details(!) ) I'll be seeing if it's even possible due to space constraints, and I've also got to make it readily-removable for maintenance aspects.

A project in development - pictures to follow, IF I'm able to make a 'go' of it . Over-all, a LOT more involved than -just- filter relocation (although -that- is highly valuable in it's own right).

Many of the specialty parts and fittings were already on-hand, otherwise, the 'deluxe' project would never be able to be considered -affordable- in the 'big picture'.

Edited by unknwn
punctuation, and additions