Ls400 1998 without O2 sensors

NIGHTLIGHT

Hey guys, i have i 98 ls400 that i have just find out that has no O2 sensors, it runs a little rich and can have a little rough idle it runs great when you drive it, has anyone else came across this? The car is imported from Dubai to hear in Sweden.

Hi in Sweden,

You may have problems with motor vehicle inspection in "Trafikstyrelsen" as the car possibly will not meet emission test requirements.

Also, it may use a bit more gasoline than needed.

If you do not get any solutions here you could try the UK site as many LS400 are running there.

Is it possible to find parking spaces for such a big car in Sweden. Here in Spain, they all seem to be made to Fiat 500 (old model) and Renault 4?

1 hour ago, Lexus-CT said:

Hi in Sweden,

You may have problems with motor vehicle inspection in "Trafikstyrelsen" as the car possibly will not meet emission test requirements.

Also, it may use a bit more gasoline than needed.

If you do not get any solutions here you could try the UK site as many LS400 are running there.

Is it possible to find parking spaces for such a big car in Sweden. Here in Spain, they all seem to be made to Fiat 500 (old model) and Renault 4?

I have just been on inspection it just passed on the co test, it jumped very much up and down so he was a little nice and passed it, don't really have issues with parking overhear quite big spaces

Good that still functioning cars do not end as landfill. It would be good though if you get the car running the way it was supposed to; that way you will not have to be lucky to pass the next test.

Enjoy riding a luxury car.

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2023 at 4:17 PM, NIGHTLIGHT said:

I have just been on inspection it just passed on the co test, it jumped very much up and down so he was a little nice and passed it, don't really have issues with parking overhear quite big spaces

Cool.  I have worked a bit with engine fuel system tweaking and to pass the fuel/air mix criteria normally applied now 1,00 +- 0,03 for cat equipped car hence minimum pollution setting within +- 3%  is not reasonable.  
perhaps you do not have any Cat either and more lax requirments. 
I am a bit surprised that a non cat car exists in sweden from 1998 . Could be that DUBAI did not have unleaded gasoline available yet that you must use for the Cat. And the car came over as a diplomats import or simmilar to Sweden. 
There is a reason for the very very accurate O2 sensors.  Could it be that your car from 1998 is exempt from the newer emission requirement completely?. 
I Seem to rememeber that I had a SAAB 9000 from the 1980 ies for a while that was from middle east originally that also did not have a lambda sensor nor Cat. 
If you get it to run as intended it is probably set to 10% lean running when going steady speed and a bit rich when acclerating say more than 50% throttle or so. 
For your wallet this setup is nice since this way of engine setup running about 10% lean at steady speed uses ballpark 5% less fuel than if you run with the now compulsory 1,00  fuel air ratio minimizing emissions .

This was the economic sweet spot setting for pre CAT era cars that had good fuel amount control. Emitted more Nitrous oxide at lean and extra unburned fuel and CO when you press the foot down though.