Dvd Player For Backseat

Victor

Hi Gang,

I have a 2002 LX470 and 2 daughters aged 6 and 9. This recipe calls for a rear entertainment system. I've gone to the local Car Toys shop and looked at headrest unit monitors and ceiling mounts. I'd rather have a Lexus designed system but was told that it wouldn't work in the 2002. I think they said it only came out in 2003. Somehow the aftermarket ceiling mount systems don't look all that great. Something about them looks so aftermarket that I'd have a hard time putting one in. The headrest models are pretty pricey and then you have to find somewhere to put the DVD player itself. I'd like a ceiling mount that looks like it belongs with the vehicle. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Victor :wacko:

I put audiovox dvd player/monitor. It works great.

LuxuryVacationClub

Hi Gang,

I have a 2002 LX470 and 2 daughters aged 6 and 9.  This recipe calls for a rear entertainment system.  I've gone to the local Car Toys shop and looked at headrest unit monitors and ceiling mounts.  I'd rather have a Lexus designed system but was told that it wouldn't work in the 2002.  I think they said it only came out in 2003.  Somehow the aftermarket ceiling mount systems don't look all that great.  Something about them looks so aftermarket that I'd have a hard time putting one in.  The headrest models are pretty pricey and then you have to find somewhere to put the DVD player itself.  I'd like a ceiling mount that looks like it belongs with the vehicle.  Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Victor  :wacko:

A local installer wanted about $2,000 +tax for a dual headreset system in my 2000 LX. I did some research and found the vizualogic system was really the best. I ended up getting a system from Autobarn. The advantage series is really nice in that it supports 2 inputs with front monitor controls. You can feed a playstation or another DVD system into the second input. http://www.autobarn.net/viadsefukit.html The headrests matched perfectly. The DVD player is nice in that it remembers where it was when the vehicle is turned off. I installed it myself in about 3 hours. The DVD player and electronics installed in the center arm rest. Now that I have done it I could probably set it up in about an hour or so. If anyone gets one just email me and I will give you some tips. It has an FM modulator also to play the sound through the speakers in addition to the 2 channel wireless headphones (setup as A & B for the drivers and passenger headrest respectively). The advantage series is brighter than the older ones as well. I saved around $800 installing it myself.

thanks for the info on the site i have to get tires first and luckily my daughter is only 18 months so i have some time id you have any trouble fitting the unit in the center??? and did it run off your factory radio or completly independent

Since the GPS system already has a DVD player included in the package, how hard would it be to have the DVD signal diverted to rear monitor(s)? It can bypass the GPS screen as I don't need anymore distraction. Has anyone ever tried this? If possible, I could save the space and expense of another DVD player in the vehicle. I'd like to pursue this idea. What are the downsides to this concept?

Thanks,

Victor

r3run33,

It runs independant of the stereo system. I powered it from the auxilary power plug (cigar lighter) in the center armrest. The system actually installed quite nicely in the center arm rest. I drilled a hole near the bottom and brought the video cable in to the player. The only thing I had to buy extra was a 90 degree rca jack to make the player stand in it's bottom facing up (so the controls are on the top). I used a bit of silicon glue to hold the dvd unit to the side of the arm rest storage area. You have to loose the cup holder tray but I never used that anyway.

On your 18 month old, I used a portable player from Wallmart ($150) for about a year and a half with my son. He either held it or it strapped to the back of the seat. Either way it allowed us to travel from Charleston Sout Carolina to Milwaukee Wisconsin in a single 16 hour road trip.. I just recently added the headrest units since my daughter is just getting old enough to take interest in the videos.

Victor, not sure what the video output is on the factory dvd/navigation system is. I know there is an override available on ebay that will allow playback of movies while driving (apparently it's locked out when not in park). If the system has a composite vidoe/audio (RCA) out you can feed it into the headrest units. Ask you dealer or custom installer about it.