Cruise control?

Go to solution Solved by dommm,

Hi

I am looking to buy a used 2022 RX350 & have a question on the cruise control. I believe this SUV has adaptive cruise control (please correct if wrong) but can anyone tell me if there is an option to turn the adaptive option off so the cruise control works without the adaptive option? I use cruise control extensively but I can not stand the adaptive option while on a 4 lane highway & would never buy a vehicle that has only adaptive cruise control. Thanks 

Three settings allow you to approach a leading vehicle by varying lengths before the adaptive cruise engages.  I use the shortest setting (lets me get closer to a leading vehicle before it starts to slow me down to that vehicle's speed), but if that car is going too slow, I just disengage the cruise until I pass it. There is no way to completely turn the adaptive portion off independently.  In moderate to heavy freeway traffic, I just keep the cruise control turned off.

2 minutes ago, Frank DeLeon said:

Three settings allow you to approach a leading vehicle by varying lengths before the adaptive cruise engages.  I use the shortest setting (lets me get closer to a leading vehicle before it starts to slow me down to that vehicle's speed), but if that car is going too slow, I just disengage the cruise until I pass it. There is no way to completely turn the adaptive portion off independently.  In moderate to heavy freeway traffic, I just keep the cruise control turned off.

Thanks for your reply Frank. I asked the same question on another Lexus site & 2 replies said the adaptive option can be turned off? 

40 minutes ago, Lexus-CT said:

Only use cruise control when driving at night on highways without other traffic or very little.

Thanks for the tip. Do you know the answer to my above question? Thanks

• Solution

So here is what I found. I went to a site that has an archive of owners manuals & entered Lexus RX350 & as luck would have it they did have a manual. The only question is for what year the manual is for but I'm thinking for my issue the manual has not changed regardless of the year. 

The RX350 does have two cruise control modes, one called "constant speed" mode & the second called "vehicle to vehicle distance control" mode. When you first turn the engine on the default mode will be the vehicle to vehicle distance control mode but it can easily switched to the constant speed mode by holding down for one second the cruise control button. 

Thanks john, that is the same as the manual I read. I did interpret it wrong though. As you show, I need to push the cruise control lever forward for one second to activate the constant speed mode. I thought (wrongly) that to change the mode I needed to push the on/off button for one second. 

The manual is for a CT 2016.

Seems that functions in ES and CT work more or less same way.

Manual is a terrible mess. Maybe written in Japanese - translated into Chinese - and from there to English (on Google)!

• Thanks 1