Hi guys,

I got the 2023 RZ 450e for a few days now. Love the car, but can't get over the fact that someone could grab the keys and take off with it.

In an old car I had you would need to get a pin code correct to drive off with the car; even if you had the key. It is crazy to me that there is no such solution in the lexsus by default. I know the tesla as this option.

Any creative/cheap solution you are using? Of course I have insurance, but still wouldn't somone driving with the car and stuff in it.

-A

There are some alarm kits that allow you to use your phone to disarm your car. The kit works with many existing alarm systems.  However most I've seen require an annual fee.

Hi ya, Aviad!  I wear cargo shorts or cargo pants and keep the key in the lower front pocket secured with velcro when shopping. I usually forget it's there because it's not required to lock or unlock the vehicle.

You're not likely to lose it that way and if a pic-pocket tries to pick it, good velcro makes a loud distinctive sound.

I was sitting in a waiting room and my RX 350 FOB fell out of the main side pocket. My wife had the 2nd key so the RX started off her key and I didn't know I lost it.

Lexus wanted 500 to replace it, but the business looked around and found the FOB for me.

There is no need for that to happen again.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a white 16 pin connector under the dash near and to the left of the steering wheel that has lots of uses, including use of a popular device that disables the use of the vehicle if the owner blows a certain alcohol level.

You just need to find a vendor that has a device that mates with this port and is linked to a keypad or cell phone.  That is old technology and it's been around for a long time.

See what you can find out there that will fit your needs.

• 4 months later...

Do you know about the little ‘hidden’ feature on your key fob?  Using this disables the ability for anyone to use a remote scanner for the wireless code your fob always transmits.  I also use a Faraday pouch when I’m in the house.

Just hold down the lock button while double tapping the unlock button.  You’ll see a red light in the key fob blinking to show that the transmitter has been disabled.  You can confirm this by attempting to open your car by pulling on the door handle.  The puddle lights are also disabled.

Press any key on your fob to return everything back to normal.  

Edited by Surveyor1953

Hi Les!  Your FOB uses a rolling or sometimes called hopping code to defeat the ability of someone to use a simple form of replay attack where an eaves dropper records the transmission code and re-uses it to unlock your vehicle. Same with garage door openers.

Both your FOB and Vehicle use an encryption technique such that only your fob and the vehicle know what the next code is going to be.  The spoofer has no way of knowing what the next code is going to be.   The wonderful world of "Digital encryption"...

The disable feature you mention is great if you got a second key but don't have another driver. You can put it in the safe at home, plus It saves the FOB battery from unnecessary drain.

Thanks, Les, for the tip.