Plastic Engine Covering

DawgsLife1

I am new here so forgive me if this topic has been addressed a million times already.  I would like to know whether it is a bad idea to remove the plastic pieces covering most of the engine?  Seems to me the engine would breathe better without them.

The engine "breathes" through its intake air filter and on to its intake manifold. Removing the plastic should not be harmful, but it would not be helpful, either.

By changing the intake air filter every 10,000 miles or so, your engine will breathe easily.
And don't forget your cabin filter, also.

The plastic coverings helps with the overall thermal containment in the engine bay (ie helps protect the hood paint). Plus it adds a neat n tidy appearance to the engine bay. Yet it really cause any adverse affects if removed. Removing them on an older engine actually helps spot any leaks developing on the top of the engine as well. Sometimes that can result in catching it before they start leaving puddles on your driveway. 

• Thanks 1