Best Year For Sc400?

jerryk

Hi.

I am thinking about getting an SC400. Are there any years to avoid? Likewise, is there any particular years that are better? I have noticed that 1998 and later seems to be more expensive. But then, the mileage is usually lower on the newer cars.

A second question is has anyone every bought a car being sold on eBay?

Thanks,

Jerry

I bought my SC400 on eBay. I live in Washington State and it was purchased from a dealer in Arizona and the experience overall was very satisfactory. You always run a certain risk of getting a lemon if you don't see/drive the car in person before buying and as a general rule I don't like to do it. But my car had relatively low miles, the dealer went into exceptional detail describing the car including at least 10 photos and the price was so attractive I decided to go for it. That said, I also did some homework in running a Carfax check and checked the dealer through his local BBB. The nice thing about eBay is their feedback system. If the seller has a high number of positive feedback's then you can at least lessen your chances that he's some fly-by-night con artist. Another tip: If possible put the purchase on VISA or Mastecard because you always have some recourse if things go badly. Again, there's always risk but using some caution and common sense you can at least try to stack the deck in your favor.

I also like the look of the earlier SC400s. The important changes for 1994 was the R34 ac system-for 1996 a slightly upgraded engine HP at 260 and in 1998 the 5 speed auto with 290HP engine. Before you buy any used lexus have it checked out by an authorized Lexus dealer for $90 and get the lexus service and car fax histories. Expect power steering leaks at 75-100,000mi. If it has over 80,000mi see if the expensive timing belt service has been done. Expect to change all the fluids and filters and check the detailing section if you want to have it shine inside and out. Good Luck...