Engine Stop At Stop Light

blueviol

This afternoon, my SC400's engine stopped at a stop light. It had been warmed up for about 5 minutes on driveway to have the idle level down at around 1000 RPM before taking off.

I drove up to the local main street on my way to highway entrance and I had to make a stop at a stop light. With my foot on the brake pedal, the car made some strange vibration and shaked briefly, then the engine stopped.

I had no problem restarting and driving the car after this.

On a separate note (could be related though), I have been experiencing soft braking for some time with warped rear rotors. I also feel that the car tends to move forward even at full stop.

Could this be due to the weakened braking power, or excess driving torque being delivered to the rear wheels with some electronic/mechanic failure? What measures would I need to take?

Does this have anything to do with the engine stopping?

I can foresee 2 possibilities. Although I am sure there are more.

It could be that your lock-up torque converter did not unlock when you came to a stop.

Since you are having braking issues, it could also be related to engine vacuum with respect to the vacuum assist on the master cylinder. Or the brake fluid could be leaking into the engine through these same parts. Is your brake fluid going down??

Just a coulple of ideas.

Tom

It is quite chilly here in NJ, so I do not use the AC anymore.

But when I turn on the heater, I feel the similar forward moving tendency.

But, in this event, the AC was not running.

Tom, I am also thinking that my braking system needs to be checked up. I am not too sure of the brake fluid leaking as yet.

It's easy to check your brake fluid. Open your hood and look at the brake fluid reservoir. There should be a line on it for a lower and upper fill limit. Look to see how much fluid is in your reservoir. If it's low, you could be losing fluid through your vacuum assist and would never see a leak. Is your car smoking or anything like that at any times?

Tom

It's easy to check your brake fluid.  Open your hood and look at the brake fluid reservoir.  There should be a line on it for a lower and upper fill limit.  Look to see how much fluid is in your reservoir.  If it's low, you could be losing fluid through your vacuum assist and would never see a leak.  Is your car smoking or anything like that at any times?

Tom

I'm with the Torque Converter suggestion. I've seen that too many times.