91 Ls400 Rear Speakers And Sub-woofer Not Working

ceenu

I've 91 LS400 , bought it 10 months back from second owner. From day one the rear speakers and

sub-woofer were not working.

sub-woofer had low volume [even at maximum volume] and the rear two speakers had no volume

at all . Please some one help to toruble shoot the issue.

I removed the sub-woofer and tested its working fine with a problem when i hooked to the home

stereo system.

Is the issue with the amplifier ?

How to find whats the issue ?

Please help me to resolve the issue.

The stereo system is Nakamichi and CD Changer labelled with pioneer [cd changer in the trunck].

Thanks & Regards,

Srini

I removed the sub-woofer and tested its working fine with out a problem when i hooked to the home

stereo system.

[typo in my previous post] Its working with out a problem when i tested on home stereo system.

Thanks & Regards,

Srini

The amplifier is mounted next to power antenna.

I checked the cables they looks good, i removed and hooked back.

But still the problem is there.

Only the front two [on the door] were working.

There are 2 small speakers near to power window [front] they are also

not working. When i put high volume i can hear low volume in the back

sub-woofer [low volume with lot of distortion bass is coming]

Fron two speakers were working fine.

I have basic doubt , the rear two speakers mounted on the back door will

have connections from the amplifier or it comes from the main stereo system ??

Any trouble shooting i can do to test the amplifier ??

Thanks,

Srini

Just today I had everything taken apart to fix my rear speakers, I took a look at the amp first, just looking for signs of damage(water, corrosion, broken wires). I couldnt find anything, it looked completly fine, so I resorted to taking my rear door panels off. I couldnt believe it, both of my rear speakers stopped working at the same time, both looked fine but simply dont work! I replaced the rear speakers with the same speakers i put in the front doors. I now have all new two way speakers and it sounds great!

The front speakers that are mounted up by the window, are just component tweeters, Ive found them to be quiet and dull, so i installed 2 way speakers. They probably are working but dont really give you much effect.

I cant help you too much with the sub, you might try a multimeter to see if the amp is producing any power, just a suggestion. Ive heard that its a common problem that the paper cone of the sub deteriorated over the years because of its location where it bakes in the sun. So check the power output, pop the cover and look at the sub. There are replacement directions at http://www.lexls.com/tutorials.html

I will try to replace the speakers and update back with results.

Thanks & Regards,

Srini

I just replaced my panasonic radio. The amp was blown. My son had installed a new subwoofer, but it was 8 ohm instead of 2 ohm, and I think that did it. I'm looking for a new 2 ohm sub, Any tips?

John

I will try to replace the speakers and update back with results.

Thanks & Regards,

Srini

I just replaced my panasonic radio. The amp was blown. My son had installed a new subwoofer, but it was 8 ohm instead of 2 ohm, and I think that did it. I'm looking for a new 2 ohm sub, Any tips?

John

jadecuir, I know a guy who might have one if your looking for a replacement , If you haven't replaced it already.

Finally i found the problem. Basically there are two problems.

1. Nakamichi system's rear channel failed.

2. The rear speakers were gone.

Here is what i am doing.

1. Replaced the rear speakers.

2. I will be replacing the stereo after a while.

Thanks to all for helping me.

Thanks,

Srini

put the tape or cd on pause or just play empty tape and put the vol to maximum, can you hear hissin from the speakers and sub? if yes then it means that your amp is good, and the problem is in your headunit. if they are completely dead then it means you got a burned channel in ur amp.