Just Bought A '94 Ls400 In Indonesia - Some Qs Pls

jamtangan

Hi all, I am in Jakarta/Indonesia and just bought a black 94 LS 400 with 50k miles on it, for US$ 20k.

When I purchased the LS, the dealer told me that the transmission has been changed (whew! - I've heard that this was a common, and costly, problem for older LS).

Car was running fine for a couple of weeks, until my driver (drivers cost approx US$ 150 per month here B) ) told me that the power steering is leaking. It's been two months, and thus far I've had the following things changed/repaired:

-suspensions and springs

-power steering module

-exhaust system (the old one was replaced with a bad aftermarket)

-brake pads

-radiator tube

This car is starting to cost me a fortune, but I like the LS enough to want to keep it long-term. Which brings the following questions to mind:

- What else should I watch out for, besides the above? Additionally...

========

- The RADIO - I like the std pioneer unit, and the cd changer still works (!). The cd changer skips easily. I would like to have the head unit changed, but according to the threads that I've read here, we can't change the head unit ONLY.

I would like to keep all the stocks speakers, subs and amplifier, and would like to change only the Head Unit, to one that comes with a built-in CD, and, remote control.

Is this the case (that one can't change just the HU, but have to re-do everything)?

I was thinking of changing the HU to a double-DIN unit (which brings up another question - has this ever been done before - will a double-DIN unit fit the space)?

Has anyone successfully changed just the HU, and maintain a working stock amplifier, with its speakers and sub?

I think the stock sound system sounds great, but the skipping CD changer is quite annoying, and the remote control is a necessity for me.

=========

- my TRUNK can't be opened from the driver's button below instrument panel, whilst the car is still running.

I was told this is a safety measure. Is this true? Has anyone been able to override this?

In Jakarta, we are subject to bomb-checks every time we go into office buildings/hotels/malls, and it sure is a pain to have to turn off the engine everytime we enter a building, just so the security guards can open our trunks.

==========

- WHEELS - I have the stock 16 inchers and I would like to upgrade it to the 17-inchers while maintaining a comfortable ride and overall handling.

Any recommendations on specific wheels and tire size that will achieve the two goals, for a 94 LS 400?

==========

Thanks for putting up with the numerous questions and thanks in advance for your kind time on this. This forum is a GREAT resource for Lexus owners!

:cheers:

Hey, welcome to the club, LS cars cost the fortune outside the US for some reason:)

Transmission problems are not common for LS, they were built to last forever. howewer, leaking power steerting system is really common and not fixing it will lead to the dead alternator so this is a good thing that you fixed it. suspension is also pretty durable except the bushings which might require change at the age of your car.

You are right about the radio, you cannot use the amp if you change the headunit, you will not be able to use CD changer as well so you will have to change evertyhing, you might keep the speakers but considering their age if you will change whole system you better change them as well.

I really dont know about the trunk safety feature, i can open mine even when i'm driving:)

Good luck and let us know if you have more questions.

i have been to Jakarta, probably about 7 years ago for vacation, it was beautiful

Wow the transmition already went out at 50K??? that is very uncommon just like V said........

VMF covered pretty much everything i can add that member Lexls has some great tutorials on his site about speaker/HU stuff....i would reccomend you check that out for some ideas its www.lexls.com

about the wheels, i'm a little old fashion when it comes to ideas about wheels i like to stick with OE, IMO the later Generation LS wheels look great on the older Gens......so you can look maybe into some LS430 17's......those would look really clean on your 94.......check ebay for that.......(i guess shipping would be outrageous though)

Thanks VMF and Silvermate for the responses.

You're right indeed, Lexus here are costly. A new 2004/2005 LS430 will set you back a cool US$ 150k (not a typo). Mine seems like a really good deal compared to this :D

Would the newer 17-inch wheels from an LS 430 fit a 94 LS? That would look nice. Is that what you have on your car silvermate? Does anyone know if the ride height would change?

That's bad news on the amp/head unit, because I really like the overall stereo, except the head unit, which looks dull, and, doesn't have a remote control (and has a skipping CD changer).

Hopefully my LS will behave because it's really quite a good and powerful ride (and rare in Jakarta)...

:cheers:

your welcome :D

Would the newer 17-inch wheels from an LS 430 fit a 94 LS? That would look nice. Is that what you have on your car silvermate? Does anyone know if the ride height would change?

yeah they will fit just fine........No, i have the 16" LS wheels from '98-'00 LS400....my particular wheels are of of a 99 LS400.........those look great on any LS, IMO they are the best wheel design for the LS lexus has ever made.....

for the "17's you are gonna have to look for a set from a '01 or up LS, they even have 18's, that would look nice as well.

I had the same radio dilema on my '91. I wanted to keep the stock head unit for appearance reasons and had bad luck with RF CD changer units. I found a CD changer unit that JVC makes (this is 6 years ago) that gets hardwired into the speaker wires behind the radio. It has it's own amp which I put under the seat. When I hit the remote (which came with the unit) I switch between stock radio and CD. The radio functions all work normally and the remote runs all the CD controls. I have never had a problem with it and it sounds great. I don't even know if they make it anymore but if you're interested I'll get the model # and you can do some research. It was about $300 at the time and took me about 4 hours to hook it up.

Bob

Hope you enjoy your new car. I agree with the others about the transmissions. They are about the most bulletproof transmission ever made. My old 90 LS had 235K and I was amazed at how smoothly and perfectly the transmission shifted. I have driven brand new cars with worse transmissions than this.

Now the power steering leakage is common, but luckily, I did not have that problem either.

Good luck.