1998 Gs400 Cup Holder Cover Needs Help

Had a little accident on top of the cup holder cover in our 98 GS400!!! My dear wife dropped a couple of drops of nail polish remover, and when I went to wipe them up, I now have a cup holder with the finish removed in an area about the size of a nickel. Is there any "easy" was to have this repaired? Would a detail shop be able to cover this up? If I need to remove the cover, can someone tell me how it's done without removing the entire console? I may be on the way to my friendly dealer to buy a new cover if that's my only option. Sure appreciate the help.

can you get a pic of it?

there would be no way to cover it up if it ate through the paint...it would have to be repainted

its kinda tough to touch up plastic, especially interior touchup matching....(scratches are a different story, they can be easily fixed)

you might just have to replace it or have it sanded and repainted........that is if its that much of an eye sore to you,.. :( and i know how particular one can be about little blemishes, i'm the same way..

• 3 months later...

is it smooth plastic with a clear coat (around shifter bezel, or stereo)..........or is it the plastic with dimples and such (not a smooth surface)?

use meguirs scratch or plastic X by hand, that should clear up fine scratches on the smooth plastic

actaully before i go any further with suggestions what part of plastic is it? do you have a pic?

When I had my Sirius radio installed the installer was telling me that my wood console surround cost over $2000. He said he knew that because one of the installers there broke one and the shop had to pay out to replace it.

Really, its their fault if they scratched it. Its hard to install stereo equipment and sometimes damage is inevitable, but if they're a legitimate business they should pay for what they do.

no, actually i bet that heat idea would work.

i forgot i've done that before on my Eclipse GSX, my dog scratched it (it was deep), i heated it up with a gun, i beleive, and smoothed it back out perfect, you coulnld't even tell it was ever there.

so yeah give it a shot, it could just work. <_<