Drag Race

Hey guys,

I have a 98 gs400 and need advice to be quick off the line. Occasionally i want to drag race my freinds and ive been wondering what the best way to launch my car. Do you guys have any suggestions? I usually put the ect power on and keep it in manual set in 2nd gear. I was wondering, it only lets me go down as 2nd gear but does it start at 1st gear if i floor it off line? Any suggestions? thanks guys

-Kenji

Hey guys,

I have a 98 gs400 and need advice to be quick off the line.  Occasionally i want to drag race my freinds and ive been wondering what the best way to launch my car.  Do you guys have any suggestions?  I usually put the ect power on and keep it in manual set in 2nd gear.  I was wondering, it only lets me go down as 2nd gear but does it start at 1st gear if i floor it off line?  Any suggestions? thanks guys

-Kenji

keep one foot on brake and one on gas at launch. before takeoff give it as much gas as you can without moving

thanks guys, so when im in manual and it says 2nd, it would be in first?  And i should let it change into second by itself nd then start changing the geras myself?

-Kenji

Yes, even though the e-shift display says 2, you will launch in 1st gear. I drag race at the strip a lot, have taken the lex there a few times and can guarantee that.

JPI is right, the torque convertor, although a bit expensive, is a H U G E help in getting our barge of a car off the line. I'm getting 2.0 60' times and 14.1 ET. Before the Torque convertor, it was 2.25 and 14.5 ET.

The next best thing is the gear ratio. Rear ends from a TT Supra will fit, but that's expensive mod too.

I've done all variations of launching at the drag strip and can tell you that for our cars being stock, it doesn't not help to put your foot on the brake and gas it a little before launching. (ie. brake stall)

Some places actually sell a "shift kit" for our car. ie. Rod Millen Motorsports.

I'm thinking about getting one myself. I think they're 80 bucks or so.

"I can say that because I have TIME SLIPS. :) Where is your stall at on a 430?"

I think stock stall is about 2 grand. I haven't really checked. But it's gotta be better than nothing.

You stalled it up as high as you could at track and had no improvement over just straight up launch? That's seems weird. What's your 60ft with and without stalling it up? Your reaction times would suffer too.

"I can say that because I have TIME SLIPS. :) Where is your stall at on a 430?"

I think stock stall is about 2 grand. I haven't really checked. But it's gotta be better than nothing.

You stalled it up as high as you could at track and had no improvement over just straight up launch? That's seems weird. What's your 60ft with and without stalling it up? Your reaction times would suffer too.

Yes, I stalled it all the way up to 1800 which is my stock stall for the 99.

I've been racing, at the strip, for years and years with a lot of different cars and bikes. My 60' times before the convertor replacement were 2.25 and traction at my local track is never a problem. It is well prepped.

I know that it goes against "conventional wisdom" that the brake stall doesn't help, I can only say that I AM able to floor it 100% right out of the hole, and I tried to time it a little earlier than when I was doing the 'brake stall' method. That is how I kept the reaction times down.

PS. I shallow stage.

Quote:

"Just rev to about 5 grand and do a neutral drop. " :D

let me know when you're going to do that neutral drop. I like explosions :D

I love the sounds and smells of a trans scattering all over the track. :lol:

If I can't get better ET's, I hear that mothballs in the gas tank makes it go faster.

Seriously though, with my Firebird, I just brake torque until the tires start to spin and then back off just a little. You kinda have to adjust for track conditions at the line.

the only two mods purchased were the HKS mufflers (not even cat-back), and the torque converter.

I did run with minimal fuel in the tank, I use synthetic engine oil,...removed the rear tire and 17" chrome rim and removed the air filter too.

oh yeah, I DID NOT have good gas in the car either. Kinda *BLEEP*es me off for being so unprepared. I wonder if the timing might have been ever so slightly retarded by the ECU because of that.

Synth. differential fluid would be an easy change that might net .05 or so.

car has 98000 miles on it.