I’m About To Push My Ls400 Over A Cliff !

Adam8g

Love my LS400 - But the brakes are going to make me go MAD.

Got my LS400 some 6 months ago – and the brakes were squeaky.

Had my mechanic look at it and he did a brake job for all four wheels.

He turned the rotors a bit (looked nearly new) – OEM pads, etc.

The brakes at that time looked near new but I wanted the squeal to GO AWAY.

It did – for a while – but it came back just like before.

Went back once and had a ‘fix’ that lasted a few weeks.

And IT’S BACK. :cries:

Yes – I have searched the posts and read all I could find.

Anything ANYONE can suggest beyond the

1 - OEM pads

2 – lube / grease

3 – shims ??????

Many thanks

i know chronic brake squeking is a pain in the neck, i had it on a previous car, and nothing i did would make it much better

here are a few things i would try

1) use only OE pads

2) get new shims

3) make sure you have a GOOD amount of lube on em.

4) make sure your rotors aren't rusted and check for high/low spots

5) make sure you don't have a sticky caliper piston......that would definately cause some sqeeking, b/c the piston would never be fully off of the pad, causing it to "ride" on the rotor

good luck

Our 95 squealed brakes like crazy when we got it. I removed the pads and found they were installed upside down. There is a relief cut into the brake pad. I simply installed the pads the correct way and it has been quiet ever since. Just something you might want to check.

There is also a spray stuff you can use on the brake rotors. I have only used this for the chronic type deals it sounds like you are going through.

It is called "The Silencer" 9 oz spray can. Bowen Technologies, Inc. It's a professional use only stuff...you may have to go to specialty brake place to get it. I may have a local store that still carrys it if you can't find it.

With this stuff, you spray a light film on the rotor itself. Fills microscopic areas in the brake rotor which causes squealing.

You do that....sand the pads you have on a true flat surface with sand paper to get a new surface...then do the shims,the lube...the whole deal.

I'll update this post with a link to the stuff..if I can find it on the web.

http://www.qmimo.com/qmi_home_page_040.htm

rotors my friend, i got the same problem with the same year car, OEM shims and pads didnt help, so i think the problem is in rotors, i'm going to change them soon

Everybody's right on the money for diagnostics..........

Like Silvermate says...you need a good coating of disk brake grease on the shims.

In particular, you only grease the INNER anti-squeal shim, but on BOTH sides! There are two sets of shims for each pad - grease BOTH sides of the two INNER shims.......

i tried all kinds of shims and all kinds and types of brake pads and all kinds of disk quiet products, nothing helps, i dont want to change the rotors but i will have to....

I changed pads and rotors front and rear a month ago, and the squeeks are back. Did all the grease and anti-squeal potions, too. So I've given up. The brakes work wonderfully except for the squeek, so I keep the windows up, and pretend a city bus is pulling up beside me at a traffic light.

The silencer spray has worked for all the "problem squealers" I have run into except one. That one was a Mazda pickup and the only way we got that one to quit squealing was to use the mazda oem pads.

One can treats 30 brake rotors. Something you might want to try as a last resort.

Hey everyone.

I tried e-mailing individuals but I guess I just don't rank very high on the Lexus forum….

I’ll go back and try the suggestions.

Wish me luck.

It is SO DANG annoying - has taken the pleasure out of driving the car.

I tried e-mailing individuals but I guess I just don't rank very high on the Lexus forum….

everyone is equal around here Adam.

Its just that we don;t allow new members to post or pm people.

This is because we have people sign up, and then start to spam members by pm or email :blushing:

Once you have made a few more posts (or even better - support the club by becomeing a gold member), then you will be able to email.

Wish me luck.

good luck man! :cheers: