Use Of Porter Cable & Rotary Polisher

If you're not experienced I'd stay away from the rotary polisher on the car, at least until you've mastered the PC and have had plenty of practice time with the rotary on some junk panels. Basically the PC is the "novice's friendly friend" it maximizes the results a hobby detailer can get, but its not suited for hardcore paint correction, which the rotary is. The rotary can also burn through your paint, which the PC can't do.

Check out the tutorials at www.lexuscarcare.com about proper use of the PC.

~One man’s opinion / observations~

A rotary polisher is for the skilled enthusiast or professional detailer, using the high speed (0-3,000 RPM, 10 amp motor) and heat to enable compounds to abrade the paint film surface that require more power /speed (3 amp motor, 2,500 – 6,000 orbits per minute) than an random orbital buffer could provide. It is not unusual for a detailer to use a high-speed machine to compound a vehicle and then switch to a dual action, random orbital machine (Porter Cable TM 7336) to apply a pre-wax cleaner, a wax or sealant.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

i agree with the above..........don't be affraid of the PC it won't bite. :lol:

i had no experience with mine when i first got, i just did a little research and got some ideas and went straight to work on my car.

it is very easy to use as well as very forgiving, the first time i used the PC i got exellent results, and everytime i've used it from there on out, the results just seem to get better and better........just takes a little practice........

with about 3 sessions of numerous passes. i have my 12 year old LS400 looking like it just rolled off the showroom floor..... :D

it really is a great investment if you are an enthusiast like most of us here are, and want your car to look its best

~One man’s opinion / observations~

I have resisted writing a guide for the use of a high-speed polisher in the past because they can remove and/or burn paint and create swirl and buffer marks if used improperly. A high-speed polisher actually removes the swirl by removing the layer of paint down to the lowest point of the swirl. With a little patience, practice and common sense, an enthusiast can master the skill needed to create a swirl-free, mirror bright finish. Staying within the speed range of 1,000 – 1,500 rpm, providing you are careful not to hold the pad in one place for too long, and paying attention when you come to the `edge' of a panel or a body contour it will not cause any damage or paint burn. Staying within this speed range it's pretty much idiot-proof (I can use it, what does that tell you)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon