Insurance

Hmmm...I am not sure of Southern CA area and how they deal with the age of 16,

but here in NJ, you got to expect to pay well around $2,500 for a year of insurance premium...again youngsters will be higher.

Check with your local insurance agent.

Registering under your parent is not recommended even if it will save some money!

There is no single answer to this, it depends on where you live, how many other cars are on the policy, driving records of each driver, how may miles each car is driven, whether there are any discounts for driver training, grade point average, added homeowners policy, etc., etc. My 16 year old daughter was added to my policy as the principal driver of a '95 Honda Odyssey but is still covered if she has an accident in my SC400. Annual additional cost: $385 (The Hartford through AARP).

Call a broker, we can't tell you anything even remotely close as insurance varies massively between zip codes, type on insurance, etc.

FWIW, I'm 23, have 7 or 8 tickets (don't even start with that) and nothing else on my record. I've got $1,000,000 liability and colision and comprehensive. My deductible is $1,000, and my premium for the year is just over $10,000 CDN.

Yeah.... 10k

Yeah.... it sucks, you think I learned my lesson? I dunno, I'm nore disgruntled at the system than anything. No one has any proof that I'm a risk, just statistical proof that due to my speeding tickets I *MAY* be a risk. Of course if the shoe were on the other foot people might understand what it's like to pay more for insurance than I do on rent. I'm seriously considering getting a winter beater so I can run just liability.

Anyway, sorry to jack the post, but we can't answer your question. Get the VIN#, call around, get some quotes. And for godsake don't crash the poor lexus, I dunno if it's a good idea to get one as a first car but that's just me...

I had a $1500 1982 toyota Celica for my first car, coolest car I ever owned :D

Aaron

just FYI, it's a 95 SC4, used, the one that my dad's driving now.....might get an old 95 ES to drive instead..i have no idea if i will be driving or not..they're all hte same to me..just wondering bout the cost that's all....this is in response to the first reply about my "loaded parents" who aren't loaded at all..

If your looking to save money on insurance, don't go with a Lexus being 16 especially if it is your first car. If its not a problem congrats man, I had a 91 Talon for 4 years and was able to save money, until timing belt went out on me, which gave me the option to purchase the Lexus. Now 20, my yearly premium even now is $2435, good driving record.

just got my 92 sc400 and i am not too happy with my premiums... I got 540 for 6 months just for state required liability coverage only... it would be at 1000 for 6 months for a decent 250 deductible policy...

I'm 28, divorced, with 3 months lapsed insurance and wreckless driving with a "total" claim on my record a year ago (I rolled my Expedition a year ago).

Ask your insurance to adjust your rate when you hit 25. If they don't (that was my case with Safeco), shop for a rate at 25 with other insurances. From my experience, I was able to lower my monthly premiums from 180 (full coverage) a month to 90 bach three years ago.