Polishing Headlights

Finally got a chance to give my ES a good wash/pre-wax/glaze/wax job today, looks great. Except the headlight lenses. The front of the car is remarkably chip-free (only 58K on it), but the headlights seem like they've been sand-blasted. Is there any known way to remove this slight damage and get them back to a nice clear appearance?

Tried a search, couldn't find anything. TIA... :cheers:

i just did mine yesterday......i used Mothers Mag wheel polish and my dremel tool with a polishing pad (or wheel) on a LOW setting.......

comes out wonderfull, looks new and shinny :lol:

just be sure to put the dremel on low setting, if you let her rip you'll definately burn the plastic housing.........just be carefull

In other forums, you will find extensive info on this topic. But basically if your headlamps are yellowing, use 2000 grit sandpaper on them. This will remove the majority of the yellowing. Then polish with plastic polish. I did mine and they look like new!!!

Finally got a chance to give my ES a good wash/pre-wax/glaze/wax job today, looks great. Except the headlight lenses. The front of the car is remarkably chip-free (only 58K on it), but the headlights seem like they've been sand-blasted. Is there any known way to remove this slight damage and get them back to a nice clear appearance?

Tried a search, couldn't find anything. TIA...    :cheers:

~One man’s opinion / observations~

Removing Oxidation from Vehicle headlights, Brake lights (polycarbonate)

Most vehicles now have a protective, transparent, plastic lens covering the headlights to protect expensive lamps (headlight assemblies range from 500-$700+) from flying stones and road debris. They discolour over time, becoming opaque and cloudy, these lenses can severely restrict the amount of light reaching the road.

This clouding is caused by accumulated exposure to ultraviolet light. If you live in a southern state, this discoloration can become noticeable in as little as two-years

Methodology:

·Use a solvent type cleaner (Klasse All-In-One) if this does not remove the oxidation use a plastic polish Meguiar’s PlastX or Renovo Plastic Cleaner

·Plastic Cleaners can be used to clean and condition Perspex as well as flexible plastic but is not suitable for use on glass.

·Prior to application of a plastic polish ensure that the window is clean and free from dust particles by washing with a soft cloth and warm water.

·It is not advisable to use cleaning detergents on plastic windows.

·Shake the bottle thoroughly. Plastic polish can be hand or machine applied

·Using a random orbital buffer with a 3.5-inch backing plate and a 4-inch (LC White) polishing pad or a terry cloth applicator

·Place a small dab (about ½-inch) of plastic polish on the foam pad or applicator.

·Place the pad on the lens surface and turn on the machine (speed #4)

·Polish the lens repeatedly in a left-to-right and an up and down pattern.

·Continue polishing until all the polish is gone

·Wipe the lens with a damp Microfiber towel

·Inspect the lens, repeat the polishing process if necessary

Plastic polish will not remove clarity defects that are within the plastic but it will remove external/surface scratching and oxidation (yellowing)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon