Motor/transmission Mount Help

82DMC12

Hey group,

In attempting to diagnose my intermittent hard shifting problem in my 1994 ES300, I have been trying to find and check the motor and transmission mounts. Earlier this year I replaced the dogbone style one on the top passenger side of the engine due to excessive deterioration. That was last winter/early spring. Now I just checked that same mount and it is again almost totally ripped up inside.

This tells me one of two things:

1. motor mount was defective

2. there is another bad mount that is causing excessive play and tearing the new one up again.

I would assume #2.

What i need is detailed descriptions of where the various mounts are and how I can check them for wear.

I have found 5 mounts:

1. passenger side top dogbone

2. Motor mount between radiator and exhaust manifold

3. Transmission mount between radiator and transmission next to the cooler lines.

4. Transmission mount next the driver's side front wheel on the subframe.

5. Motor mount around axle on passenger side between axle and firewall.

My friend at autozone says his computer lists 6 mounts.

Which mounts are likely to be bad? mount #4 by the wheel I can visually see and it looks fine. When i have someone start the car and shift through P-R-N-D I do not see much movement here. what about the two in front by the radiator?

Is is possible to remove the two front radiator mounts one at a time without supporting the engine?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Andy

3. Transmission mount between radiator and transmission next to the cooler lines.

4. Transmission mount next the driver's side front wheel on the subframe.

check those 2...they are the ones most liley to cause hard shifting. if they are gone, the rest fo the mounts take the heat.

EDIT: engine support is a must, the holes for the bolts will not line up correctly if you dont support the engine, it will drop slighhtly.

Your hard shifting may be a bad tranny ,did you get a flush?

Yes, I bought the car with 87K on it and the fluid was not dark but just starting to get discolored. I flushed the system and changed the pan gasket and cleaned the pan as well as changing the final drive fluid. that was last year. this year I just did a drain and fill. the fluid wasn't even looking like it needed to be changed but I still changed it after 15K. The transmission has progressively given me harder shifting during the last two years. I don't recall if it had any problems when I first bought it. I use Dexron III fluid, no extra additives.

Andy

My fluid looks good but the tranny shifts awfully especially 1-2 and sometimes 3rd.

I got an inline tranny filter and it has solved most of my problemsfrom debris build up getting caught in the valve body to be removed and caught in the filter itself instead

My fluid looks good but the tranny shifts awfully especially 1-2 and sometimes 3rd.

I got an inline tranny filter and it has solved most of my problemsfrom debris build up getting caught in the valve body to be removed and caught in the filter itself instead

\

SK:

Are you saying the inline filter SOLVED the problem, or that it is keeping it from getting worse?

Andy