Rubber Burning Smell In Car

rjw_mpwr

hi, all: I just got a 93 Lexus ES300. The car runs great. I like the car. However, after you run the car for a while and the engine is not cold any more, when the car is sitting idle, you can smell a rubber burning smell from the car. When you drive the car, you don't smell it. I sent it to a local mechanic near my house. He said there are oil leaks. So, he replaced oil pan gasket, valve c over gasket, upper plentum gasket and P.C.V valve. I just picked up the car. the smell is still there. So, I am just wondering what is the problem? Have you experienced the same thing?

Thanks

John Wang.

did he replace just the front valve cover gasket or both front and rear? Any smoke from the engine bay when the temp is hot?

The front one is easy, the rear one is a PITA. If he didn't do the rear, it may be leaking on the rear exhaust manifold. Have a peek.

A friend has a constant smell of plastic/rubber burning, it was a plastic shopping bag that got caught up between the exhuast and the floor board and was slowly meting on the hot cat/pipe.

steviej

did he replace just the front valve cover gasket or both front and rear?  Any smoke from the engine bay when the temp is hot?

The front one is easy, the rear one is a PITA.  If he didn't do the rear, it may be leaking on the rear exhaust manifold.  Have a peek.

A friend has a constant smell of plastic/rubber burning, it was a plastic shopping bag that got caught up between the exhuast and the floor board and was slowly meting on the hot cat/pipe.

steviej

There is no smoke coming out of the engine bay. Just smells bad. I am not sure if he did the rear one. I am not too good at car stuff. :blushing:

Thanks for the reply

jw

If there was a leak you might need to give the car a little more time to burn off the oil before the smell goes away.

Marc

How long should I wait?

Thanks for the reply.

Jw

depends on how much you drive, get it up on the frreway for an hour or so.

good excuse to go for a drive ;)

If there was a leak you might need to give the car a little more time to burn off the oil before the smell goes away.

Marc

How long should I wait?

Thanks for the reply.

Jw

depends on how much you drive, get it up on the frreway for an hour or so.

good excuse to go for a drive ;)

I have definitely driven over an hour, but not continuously, like half an hour here, 15 min there. today after about 40 min drive, I openned up the hood, i noticed that there are a few web spot on the battery. every where else is dry. don't know what it is, may be there is still leaking somewhere.

thanks

jw

• 2 weeks later...

My 1995 ES300 started having this problem couple of weeks ago, since the heat has started coming on. The problem does go away after the initial smell that comes when the engine heats up for the first time.

My valve cover gasket had been leaking ($600 job estimate at dealership) AND power steering fluid had been leaking ($900 - or was it $1200 job estimate at dealership) BEFORE this smell started coming. So, this is yet another fluid or same fluid from a different place??

So, it has connection to Heat but not to AC. I am assuming that heat turns more air from outside than the AC.

JW - has yours stopped now that it has been several days?

Thanks

AJ

(no real knowledege of cars)

My 1995 ES300 started having this problem couple of weeks ago, since the heat has started coming on. The problem does go away after the initial smell that comes when the engine heats up for the first time.

My valve cover gasket had been leaking ($600 job estimate at dealership) AND power steering fluid had been leaking ($900 - or was it $1200 job estimate at dealership) BEFORE this smell started coming. So, this is yet another fluid or same fluid from a different place??

So, it has connection to Heat but not to AC. I am assuming that heat turns more air from outside than the AC.

JW - has yours stopped now that it has been several days?

Thanks

AJ

(no real knowledege of cars)

The smell is the oil leaking from your REAR valve cover gasket which is a pain in the !Removed! to get to. the oil drips and burns off causing the smokey smell. If it is not the rear valve cover, then it could be one of your motor mounts. After awhile, they tend to crack and the fluid leaks.