97 Es300 - Some Damage - Good Price?

I found this local ES300 for $4990. It has some damage to the right side, but is this a good price, considering the damage? I know some of you guys on the LS forums may have seen me mentioning wanting to buy something other than a Lexus again, but I just happen to run across this one. Much lower miles than my LS- which is a plus. What problems can someone expect with these cars? Hopefully not the same problems my LS has. :) I will probably not buy this car, because I am not too keen about buying a car with body damage. There may be more damage that is not visible in the photos. Who knows. :unsure: From the looks of the photos- it looked like it has been damaged for a while- hence the rust on the bare metal.

http://www.fixableautos.com/lexus1/lexusIndex.htm

He also has a few other earlier ES300s available. I think a 94, as well as a 92.

Thanks.

totally not worth it. 5 grand for the car. 4-6 G's for the repairs easy i think. a 97 model, being with 150000 miles has been driven enough to get major service costs. These cars have a history of engine guelling (when neglected) . In the end... youll throw more into it that what its worth.

you prolly dont want a 92-93 if you can get a 94 and up.

the pinned faq's from SK have what you wanna know about the look outs and concerns with those years.

later

Remember the expression, "Cheap is Dear". In other words, don't even consider buying it. IMO  :whistles:

Not worth it unless you can get that body panel and door the exact color cheap from a junk yard...highly unlikely.

You also have to worry about frame straightening...save yourself the headache and get a certified lexus.

I think a certified Lexus is way put of his price range he's looking at...

I also agree don't get it. If not for the body damage then for the engine gelling. If its been damaged like that for a while how long do you think its been since an oil change? Find a 94-96 ES, no problems with gelling, good strong year and within that price range.

I found this local ES300 for $4990.  It has some damage to the right side, but is this a good price, considering the damage?  I know some of you guys on the LS forums may have seen me mentioning wanting to buy something other than a Lexus again, but I just happen to run across this one.  Much lower miles than my LS- which is a plus.  What problems can someone expect with these cars?  Hopefully not the same problems my LS has.  :)  I will probably not buy this car, because I am not too keen about buying a car with body damage.  There may be more damage that is not visible in the photos.  Who knows.  :unsure: From the looks of the photos- it looked like it has been damaged for a while- hence the rust on the bare metal. 

http://www.fixableautos.com/lexus1/lexusIndex.htm

He also has a few other earlier ES300s available.  I think a 94, as well as a 92. 

Thanks.

Do you remember the scene from the Muppet movie where they were looking for a used car. They saw a Studebaker (?) for $1995. The monster smashed a bug between the two 9's, creating a $19.95 price.

$49.90 would be about right for this car.

:D Thanks for the replies. I had totally forgot about the "sludge" problems also on these cars. I was aware of it on the 97-01 Camrys. I was just lightly considering this car, nothing definite. If I bought another Lexus, I definitely want one with lower miles than my LS has.

SW03Es is correct- I am not wanting to spend as much to get a CPO Lexus. If I was going to spend that much- I would get a new 4-Runner or Tundra.

After all of the negative replies, I was starting to assure myself that it was way overpriced, but SKPERFORMANCE's reply got me thinking about the 97 Camrys- which is based on the same chassis. Even the typical 97 Camry's around here, with 150K miles, still sells for $4000-$5000 and as high as $8000 for a low mile example, so this really does not seem that bad for a 97 ES. There are actually a couple of 97s and a couple of 99 Camrys (low mileage) that I am considering, but the potential "sludge" problem has me concerned. I have even heard that well maintained examples may have the problem as well.

Upon VB's advice- I may reconsider a Corolla- no its not a Lexus, but I think it will be good for what I will need it for. The 02-older models are too small for me, but the 03-05s are larger, more refined and have extremely high safety ratings. I may take another look at one of those- or perhaps even one of the older ES300s this guy has. I actually like the 92-94 ES300s better than the 90-94 LS400s. Would be neat if I could trade my 90 LS for one, but no one wants my LS for some reason. <_< :D Perhaps it is all of my complaints I have about it? :unsure: :D

BTW- incase you did not click on the main link on this ad- here are the other Lexus he has- I think this one is a bit steep: $3700.

http://www.fixableautos.com/lexus94ES300/lexus94ES300.htm

This one has blown airbags - $2500.

http://www.fixableautos.com/AMautosales/le...exus94ES300.htm

Thanks again for the replies guys.

Remember the expression, "Cheap is Dear". In other words, don't even consider buying it. IMO :whistles:

Not worth it unless you can get that body panel and door the exact color cheap from a junk yard...highly unlikely.

You also have to worry about frame straightening...save yourself the headache and get a certified lexus.

frame straightening is a defnate must on that particular car. that b pillar is warped.

I think it is worth it.

It needs a door skin 200

mirror 150

fender 250

corner light 60

labour 1000

paint 600

misc parts 200

total about 2500 plus tax

depends on what they go for in you area.

I think this is bad advice.

Remember that it's a salvage title. That means that the insurance company didn't think it was worth repairing the car - and they felt that it was better to pay the car's value. If they felt that the car could be economically repaired, they would have done so. So, the repair cost was greater than the value of the car.

This person is going to be stuck with the repair cost (which is greater than the value of the car) PLUS paying $5,000 to buy it. Terrible deal.

It's easy to look at a car on the web but you can be sure you're not seeing it as well as the insurance company aduster.

Stay away.

Having a salvage title is not always a huge deal. My uncle bought a wrecked Toyota Solara and repaired it for my cousin when he turned 16 and now he has a great car and it cost them several thousand dollars less. I don't know about $2500 though, around here they were going to charge me $1000 to repaint my bumper...

Another potential problem will be insuring it when you get it fixed.

The one with blown bags iis not worth it

it has structural damage ,500-1000

needs a fender 250

door not just skins,700

glass 300

headlight 600

airbags 1000-2000

misc 1000-1500

paint and labour 1500

around 6000 for repairs for a 4000 car after a slavage repair.