Suspensions

metaspace

The front struts on my 1998 ES300 are making lot of noise and the ride is also bubbly. I want to know the reviews about tokico and kyb GR2. There are lot of threads about kyb GR2 as they are the OEM. Just want to know people's reviews about tokico also. Also how do you know that the struts on your car are electronically adjustable, I have stock struts on my car, does lexus OEM for 1998 have electronic adjustment?

I have found a good website toysport.com, they sell lexus oem for much cheaper price. Does anybody know the diameter of sway bar bushings, I got 18mm in the past but it is big, couldn't get vernier put underneath the car accurately wihout a lift or a jack.

weather you have adjustable suspension... will be dependant on if you have the control for AVS in your cabin. if not.. then you dont have an adjustable suspension.

KYB will keep your stock soft ride. Tokiko's will give you better, stiffer handling couple with a semi soft ride. for my 1st gen i noticed the ride is still nice and smooth over bumps.. less the bouncy suspension.

Most of the noise is from the rubber strut mounts. Make sure you replace those at the same time ($63 each). I am not real happy with the KYB's. They are nice, but they can still bottom out very easily. Very soft ride, and there is only one style of KYB for that year. I would rather have bought the Tokico's.

lol

thanks

i was looking for a reply not a sentiment.

But much appreciated and happy birthday to you also DC

BTW the easiest way to describe the tokico's is like constipation.

It starts to take in the bumps and then stiffens up real hard out of the blue.

Plain awful for a daily driver.

i find a tokico's a bit to stiff for the dampening.

HAPPY Bday SKPERFORMANCE :)

HAPPY B-DAY SK , mine too !!!

not at all aweful... i have it.. and its great for me. Almost one year since ive had them.. driven regulaly. I think that its a bit misconcepted that people think tokicos are that stiff.

This leaves me very confused about Tokico's. I called some suspension dealers and most of them told me otherwise. They say that Tokico is little stiff in the beginning but they give soft ride later on. Also they recommended Tokico for better handling ans they don't bottom out as mentioned earlier by tundra_lover.

I don't drive hard or fast, not looking for a real performance but at the same time I don't want the suspensions to be very very soft. Let me know if you guys have any more insight to it, the guy is giving me a pair of Tokico's for $142, you can't beat that deal and it has a life time warranty also.

Again people tend to favor kyb's, that makes me really confused!!!!!

Unless you want it to have a ride like a dump truck- do not install KYB GR-2. My 90 LS400 had these on the rear when I bought it and the ride was extremely stiff. There was virtually no "give" in the rear suspension. I installed Toyota OEM struts and it made the ride much better, but not "pillowy" soft.

Not sure about the 98s, but the Toyota struts I got for my LS had "KYB" stamped under the "TOYOTA" stamp, but they have much softer dampening than the GR-2s. KYB obviously makes them for Toyota. I wonder if they also made them back in 1990?

If you are referring to the GR-2s- it would take about 10-15 years for them to "soften" up to a good ride quality. If you like a dump truck ride- install the GR-2, if not, install OEM Toyota. I have also heard that Monroe Sensa-tracs are good.

Who is the OEM of suspensions for 1998  lexus ES300?

Does anybody know the diameter of sway bar bushings?